Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who Owns The Software License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchallenor

Vendor
Jun 18, 2002
US
We have (2) SX200EL's, and (1) 200icp. We want to change dealers and the new dealer was told by Mitel that we'll have to pay for the software all over again!

Is this really the way Mitel works?

If you are the original owners and originally purchased this equipment brand new, through an authorized Mitel (Silver/Gold/Platinum) dealer (or VAR), then whoever told you this is full of crap.

The problem comes up when customers obtain systems through the secondary (used equipment) market.

If the original dealer sold you a system he obtained from the secondary market then I would suggest calling your attorney.

When reselling a system to someone else you can sell the equipment, but you cannot sell the software nor transfer your license to the buyer.
What's hard for some to understand is that you don't "own" the software; you merely bought a license to use it and I'm pretty sure that license is not transferrable.

ok, so if you buy a used system (hardware), one must go and pay for the software license again.....the problem we're having is with a system we bought new.....I'll get that resolved now that I know what's up.

As long as you purchased it from an authorized dealer you should have no problems (pending you owe that first authorized dealer no money). You will have to write a letter and have your new dealer submit it to Mitel legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back