Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who has given up on WIn 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
As an IT professional its important for me to keep abreast of what's new and get up to speed with it.

Windows 8 has been no exception. I grabbed various beta copies and then my full copy off my Technet account. I tried it on various platforms and first impressions as with many users was WTF?

I persevered, growing to like its speed of boot up and interface. I purchased Start8 because the modern UI just didnt agree with me or anyone else at home who used it. People like new, but they dont like change, and especially when its radical and also told that you CAN NOT boot to a desktop. Again, WTF?

I continued, and tried the media centre add-on on my media centre. What a piss take. Reverted to Win 7 within 10 mins of finishing Win 8 configuration.

My PC at home is no slouch and fairly recent hardware, Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo, Core i7-2600K, 16GB Ram, 250GB OCX Vertex 4 SSD, ATI HD7870 Gfx etc, etc..... Win 8 was singing along, until odd things started occuring.

Firstly, the condescending pale blue screen of death, system file corruptions, constantly rebooting to repair and recovery which had NO affect and could NEVER repair start up errors, lost boot loaders, explorer crashing all the time, and so on.

I rebuilt Win 8 three times. with the same issues over and over. All the time, I still had my Win 7 installed on a conventional HDD on the same hardware working without a hitch.

I gave up, backed my stuff up and rebuild Win 7 onto my SSD, and it sits so much better than windows 8. Its not flaky at all.

Now, I have no real evidence that Windows 8 is truly at fault. perhaps some driver related? Who knows, but one thing is for sure, Windows 8 IS the Windows ME of the 21st Century :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Im dreading rolling out win 8 to customers. not to mention a whole new set of GPOs to learn

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Well the latest from our server support company is DO NOT get Windows 8, adding it to the domain and supporting the user is a nightmare.

Not sure if this is a general statement or specific to us being on SBS, either way, the PC I buy this week for a new member of staff will NOT be Windows 8!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back