Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who From ??? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
One of my mates thought it was funny to send me a 20MB attachment with an e-mail. (Hillarious NOT) I connect with a 56k modem and this tied Outlook Express up completely until it was completely downloaded.
I know that if I double click in the bottom left corner where it says "Receiving Mail", then the box opens to tell me which account is being checked, and if I hover over the account that is being checked, it tells me the size of the e-mail, but..........

My questions are :-

1) How can I tell WHO a message is from while it is being received ?
2) How can I Stop such a large file coming through if I choose to AFTER it has started to download, without it starting up again next time I click Send/Receive

Thanks in advance
kwunder

Hi again kwunder!!!

dont you hate when people send you those massive attachments!!!
THere is no way of telling who it is from by just using outlook express....so there is no real solution to this. If you KNOW or at least suspect that there is a massive file coming in, you can do what I do and use Yahoo mail to check it for you. Yahoo will only look at your mail and tell you who it is from and what is the size, if you want the attachment, you have to go download it seperatly....
In (sign up first) and then go to the options page, in there set up the option for check other (pop) mail. Input your pop3 account data and check the option for Leave messages on the server. that way the mail will still be downloaded by OE. You can also then have a second pop3 account for yahoo to check, exact same details but this time leave mail on server is not checked, that will mean that outlook will not download the massive mail that you dont want.
Its much ado about nothing, but can be a 56k modem time saver when you need it!!!

good luck....and have a pint of the black stuff on me!! [stpatrick] Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Jay,
Psychic powers are a wonderful thing, and as I started to view your reply, I already had a drop of "Pure Genius" in my right hand !

I'll look into that yahoo mail. Sounds like an ideal workaround for this situation.

Cheers pal.
(By the way, I'm on my way over to lovely Ireland again in September, so, get ready for that pint !)

Bryn (kwunder) [cheers]

Oh, and please won't somebody develop a nice Guinness glass emoticon for those of us who appreciate the finer things in life ! [stpatrick2]

In Outlook Express you have the option of automatically deleting items from a particular sender...before you "send and receive", put that sender on your list to "automatically delete", do the send/receive and get the rest of your e-mail, then remove the sender again from the "automatically delete" list. I had to do this once when a friend sent a 9MB attachment 5x and I couldn't retrieve any of my other e-mail from Prodigy until it got through these first.

Piechockip

Hmmmmmm Interesting. Thanks for that. It would certainly help in this situation.

Ta !
kwunder

Or you could go to and input your username and password for your email provider. This will show what mail you have waiting for you. You can choose to read or delete any messages that are there. They, therefore, will not be downloaded to OE next time you check your mail. Hope it helps. :)

mintaka,

Twigger, as of tomorrow (21st March) is a chargable service.
Thanks anyway

kwunder

When this happens to me I TELNET the mail server, and manually delete the offending mail item.

Instructions follow: (I have used mail.server.com to mean the name of your POP3 mail server)

If
you are using Windows 95 or Windows NT, you may launch Telnet from the Run
dialog box by choosing Start|Run, then enter:

telnet mail.server.com 110

and click OK.

If you are using another operating system or another Telnet program, check
the documentation or ask in the forum which supports that operating system
or Telnet program. The host is

mail.server.com

and the port is 110. You must connect to that port on that host to examine
your mailbox.

After the Telnet program connects, you will see this:

+OK NT POP3 Mail Server Ready

Unless you turn on local echo, everything you type from here on out
will not appear on the screen and the cursor will not move. To see
what you type, enable local echo from the Terminal > Preferences menu.

In the following steps, the <> is a placeholder; you do not enter the
angle brackets. None of the information you type is case-sensitive.

Enter: USER <username>
You will see: +OK

Enter: PASS <password> Your POP3 password

You will see: +OK

If you turn on logging, whatever you see on the screen will be logged to a
text file. To turn on logging, click TERMINAL|START LOGGING. The default
filename will be telnet.log and you can rename it if you like. Take note of
what directory the log file will be saved in, so you can find it afterward.

You can now enter specific commands.

LIST Lists message numbers and sizes.

RETR # Retrieves message number #. The message will scroll to the
screen. If you need to capture it, then logging should be
turned on. Note that this command does not delete messages
from the server.

TOP # nn Retreives the header and nn lines from message number #. This
command will allow viewing of the headers to confirm a specific
message is the one in question. Examples of usage:
TOP 3 10
will retrieve the headers and first ten lines of message #3
TOP 7 20
will retrieve the headers and first twenty lines of message #7.
The headers and requested number of lines will scroll to the
screen. To capture them, turn logging on. Note this command
does not delete messages from the server.

DELE # Deletes message number #. Critical for removing problem
messages. While still connected to the mailbox, further
attempts to access that message number will generate an
error. The next time you go into your POP3 mail via
normal procedures, the problem message(s) should be gone, and
all messages after the one deleted will find their message
number decremented by 1. For example, DELE 4 will cause
message #5 to become #4, message #6 to become #5, etc.

QUIT Quits the session (preferred over a File > Exit). If the
session is ended abnormally (such as using File > Exit),
the deleted messages will be restored.

I have 2 ISP accounts.
About 10 days ago, I received an Email with Attachment containing a virus thru some mass-mailer on one of these from some &quot;clown&quot; I didn't know/recognize. (he/she used a Hotmail-address). I did not open the attachment, but Norton flagged & quarantined it.
It's a couple of extra steps to take to get my Email, but now what I do on that particular ISP/Email account is check via Web Mail, and peruse the Inbox for unknown senders, plus this also allows me to view the size of the message. You can also read the message without opening the attachment. Anything I suspect (or is too large) I can delete before Downloading to my system. Webmail also allows you to set up folders to store some of this stuff!
Naturally, I &quot;Blocked&quot; that sender from my mail account(s), but it helps to view prior to downloading - just in case!
Hope this is an alternate solution.
Peter

Peter,

Tell me more about this Webmail. What is the URL ?
Sounds like a good solution.

Regards
kwunder

kwunder,
On the &quot;Home page&quot; of your ISP, there is usually a Tab called Account Center (or something similar) which you have to enter with your Email address & your Password. Once your &quot;in&quot;, there should be another Tab which refers to Web Mail (something like that). Hopefully, yours would have something like this.
You then proceed, as prompted, and there'll be the very Basic folders [ Inbox, Trash, etc.] like Yahoo, Hotmail, or even MS Outlook or Outlook Express at their initial state (before your created your personal Folders). Once there, you can view what's sitting on the ISP Mail Server at your Address, waiting for you to Download your mail.
Hope this helps. Cheers!
Peter

kwunder,
CAUTION !!
I forgot to mention that the Antivirus software
(MacAfee & Norton/Symantec) do NOT protect you
when you view online mail, like Hotmail & Yahoo.
You do NOT want to be curious about viewing/reading
a message which you may be unsure of the source!
Good luck!

Peter,

Excellent info. I've just been to my ISP homepage and Webmail is there. I was able to see my mail before I downloaded it. Great !

Nice one !
Thanks again. You got the vote.

kwunder [spin]

kwunder,
Thanks for the kudo!
Whew! I was worried there for a while about the lack of Antivirus protection.
Glad it worked for you.
Peter :-D

I use PocoMail to check my email and it has a very nice feature allowing you to check the mail on your server and then decide whether you want to Leave it there, Get your email, or Delete it . . . all selectively. Of course, you can opt out for just straight retireving email from your accounts but being able to take a look at what's on the server first is a nice option.

Also, PocoMail does not rely on the IE rendering engine and is pretty much immune to those nasty scripts out there.

Shareware demo for 90 days

BTW As of this month, Yahoo will no longer allow POP access to their free accounts <bummer>. You have to opt out for their Plus Service at $19.95 a year. Haven't checked to see if POP access to ISP accounts will also be curtailed in the free accounts but it is a pretty good guess that will also happen.

Rick
Forgotten Knot Assessments

Mileend ????
Anything to do with the Mile End Rd in lovely Londinium ?

I am able to check my mail accounts through the webmail section on my ISP homepage. Still free at the moment. I will have a look at pocomail though. Sounds good.

Thanks Rick
kwunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back