Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

who can identify this trojan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
NO
have become infected with a truly elaborate trojan which has performed the following on my system, starting with a windows error message: "Registry restored. One of the files containing the systems register data, had to be restored"...

1. Norton Internet Security is nothing but a blank screen upon opening it (leaving it useless)
2. I am unable to access internet through IE5: the system attempts to download files instead, failing.
3. The Run-command button has been removed from the start menu, although the settings imply it should be there (right-clicking).
4. Unable to access programs through start menu. The button is there but nothing happens when clicked...

Hope somebody can recognize and identify this sucker! Thanks!

Note Book HD are easy to work on, buy a USB2 .,5" houseing put the HD in to the houseing, plug the USB into a 2000Pro or XP computer and you can scan it for viruses and get your data back. USB2 2.5" can be had for around $20.00 US.

hey guys, I just joined up here and been reading around the virus portion of this large forum. I have an information site that could help most of you out, it has info on the specific trojan/virus that you're infected with. as well as the location in the registry where you can manually delete it. also have software for download that detect & delete malicious scripts on your HD. my site does NOT have trojans on it, nor any for download, merely an information website. hope it's of some help, please let me know :)

damn my bad lol......my site is below with my signature, forgot to put it in my last post. good luck.

FAVtm
TrojanLibrary.com
Visit. Sign. Vote.

ok......

Not sure how I am gonna search your site for this trojan as we don't know it's name.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

NOthing identifying that statement on either Norton or antivirus.com. Have you tried starting with the last good registry version?

Otherwise you need to hook your drive up to another computer with full and good virus protection. I thought it might be Gruel, but that particular phrasing is not part of the package.

Definitely not the Gruel, no C:\rundll at all...

I was able to make a windows repair installation with the supplied operating system CD. Am going to make a copy of necessary documents, then format the harddisk and install Linux. Adios trojans!

Still would like to have been able to identify the culprit, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back