Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

who called this process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tek1tips

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
Hi experts,

The output of command 'ps -ef |grep tmdb2ipc' is like this:
"root 4970 1 0 Sep 25 - 0:00 tmdb2ipc > /dev/null 2>&1 "
My aix 51 ML 5's run level is 2 (who -r).
there is no that entry, tmdb2ipc, in /etc/inittab and /etc/rc.d/rc2.d.
Please let me know where that process comes from.

Thanks

hi! tek1tips

I think that tmdb2ipc process seems interprocess communication (IPC ) part for the Tivoli Manager for DB2.

Yes, It's. It suppose to be called by tmdb2mcb. But its PPID is 1, that confused me.

Thanks.

Have you looked at your inittab or any rc scripts that run on bootup? It's probably something there that is starting it.

Hi bi,

Yes, I checked out. There is no that entry both /etc/inittab and /etc/rc.d directory.

Thanks.

When a program/script uses "exec" to overlay its own process space with a new program, the new program will have the same PID and PPID as the original, but the process command name (as shown in ps) can, and usually does, change. This is a likely cause of what you're seeing.

You can grep any shell scripts with entries in inittab and rc.d for the tmdbipc launch via exec, but it could just as easily be an exec call by a binary program, in which case tracking it down could be a little trickier.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back