Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whidbley: Sounds Cool, But Can't MS Get it Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoulderBum

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
The next iteration of VS.NET certainly sounds awesome (see but does it seem to anyone else like all of these iterations of VS.NET are a little much? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the .NET platform, but it's a pain in the but to spend a thousand or two every year or if you want the latest IDE. VS 6 came out and didn't change for, what, a decade?

Now, with a new version of expensive software coming out on an annual basis, I get the impression that Microsoft has been a little disorganized in their architecture. I'd prefer that they fully developed the technology before releasing it to developers.

Um, not sure about the upgrade from VS 6 to VS.net 2002, but with the upgrade from VS.net 2002 to 2003, I was able to get it for $29 or something trivial.

I presume a similar deal will apply with Whidbey...

Mark [openup]

PS I don't remember how long exactly VS6 was around for, but I do remember having lots of service packs...

Mark [openup]

Yeah, but service packs are free, and don't relate so much to the architecture as they do to bugs and stuff.

That's good to know about the upgrade cost. Is that the standard price?

I just ended up getting an MSDN subscription, so I get everything, but I think it will run out before Whidbey is released P-). I guess I was a little worried when I saw "Upgrade" versions of VS.NET retailing for hundreds or thousands of dollars, but it sounds like (and I'm hoping that this is true), those costs apply to older versions of the VS IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back