Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which would be best? 2524, 2514 or 2600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wumagic

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
I am looking to connect my home lan to the internet via a Cisco router... Im running 2 Pc's and a RS6000 server... Which of these three model routers would be best? I am on a Cable connection.. I am also behind a Pix501 firewall and have a 2912 switch sitting here...

Thanks!

because the 2514s right now are as cheap as the 1605, they have 2 serial ports vs none on the 1605 unless you get the WIC and then it's 1 port. And they have a AUX port where the 1605 has none..

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I would not go for the 2500 series.
They work fine and have done so for almost 10 years, but I would go for 1600, 1700, 2600 or even an 800 if that could solve your needs.

What do you need the aux port for?

I don't think I have ever used the aux port on 2500 for anything.

/johnny

Hey Johnny-

Apparently you have not done the CCNP or CCIE game lately. You had better know how to hook a modem up to the AUX port to pass the exams.

Point 2: for a cheapo WAN connection, you can run the AUX ports back to back. Works great.. takes the cisco rolled cable which is 30 bucks cheaper then a serial crossover.

Point 3: Support for protocols like BGP get real iffy on a 1600 since it was never intended for that type of routing. It will do it.. somewhat

Point 4: For a lab, the 2514 at the same price point, gives you TWO serial ports. The 1605 gives NONE.. unless you get a WIC card. Granted you can change wics on a 1600, 1700 etc.. but honestly.. how many times will it take for you tearing the lab up and down before it gets real old.

The cheapest 2600... the 2610/11 is a 10 half ethernet router.. again, no serial card unless you have the WIC and this will set you back roughly 700-900.00 on Ebay. The fastethernet version will set you back 1500 or more. Not much of a bargin when the 2514/1605 is running 500-700.

The 800 does not use the standard IOS nor does it do things like BGP, OSPF, IPX EIGRP, Appletalk, plus a few others.. this makes it pretty useless for a lab.

and.. and... and..

MikeS
Find me at

Sorry, but the way I read this posting it was not for a lab net but for a home user. And for that I would go for a 800, 1600 or 1700. 2600 would be nice but $$$
I don't see that someone would need BGP on a home lan with 3 hosts.

/johnny

Totally agree Johnny.

MikeS, try not to complicate matters. This is for a home user, not a corporate trying to use independent IP's using 2 different ISP's to build resilience into the network.

I have the Pix Firewall Now, So what router should I get?

Someone who has a 2912 switch and a PIX firewall is not *just* a home lan. This is someone who at some point start thinking about *bigger and better* network design, features and so on. If they wanted *plug and play* home network, they would have bought a 89.00 Linksys, not a 400.00 PIX. Not to mention the RS6000 is not exactly a toy the average homeuser has. The entry level RS6000 lists at 4K and thats without any extras. Sooo.. what does that tell us? Someone more then likely is going to want access via the internet to the RS6000. Again, the average home use does not telnet home to a RS6000 Unix box. Why the PIX? because it's very flexible compared to virtually any other sub-500 dollar firewall solution out there.

In my opinion, this is not your average home user. And a 800 or the likely is seriously unbuying AND not paying attention to the future needs or prospective needs of the client. You as a consulant need to keep that in mind. It may not be OSPF/BGP today, but Murphys Laws says that in 6 months it will be and you as the consulant will have egg on your face when you go and tell the client your first recommendation wont do it.

On that happy note, buy what makes you happy ;-)

MikeS
Find me at

Neither the 2600 or 2500 routers support cable or DSL.

Not true 1Cosmo1. A 2600 with a ADSL card will support DSL also with PPPOE, I know im hook up to one at home. Also 2514 can be hook up to cable with a newer IOS which supports dhcp client. RS600 how did you pick up that? I have one which one given to me because the person had no idea what it was also i second murphy's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back