Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Weekly tape is next? How to tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tquinn

MIS
Jul 17, 2000
US
Is there any way to tell for sure which tape is the next one that ArcServe will select from the weekly scratch set to use for the Friday full backup? (Standard GFS rotation, here.) Better yet, is there any way to force ArcServe (6.5 build 620) to tell me which one it will want?<br><br>The staff (Bunch of beer-sotted whiners, I tell ya!) doesn't want to hang around 'til 20:30 hrs. (when the job starts) on Friday waiting for the ol' &quot;Please mount&quot; message.<br><br>

media prediction report methinks, look in the manual

tquinn

We don't use GFS. Pain in the neck. We just label up the tapes with day numbers and overwrite each day on a monthly cycle. Anything more complex when you have people involved is utterly doomed to failure unless you do it yourself!.

Doesn't the log tell you at the end of the previous job ?.

Regards

Mark

I just name all of my tapes 'backup' and put blank labels on the cases to write the date for that tape. Who cares what ArcServe wants?

This is something I've been thinking about a lot.
What you need do do is run a GFS Prediction Report before each backup (say at 5pm). Im a big fan of scripting and automation so I would ultimately like a prompt/popup message if the correct tape is not loaded. There is a file in the Arcserve folder called GFSPRED.EXE but it's not documented and may not be able to run in a command line anyway.
Another option is to check Arcserve.log as it reports the required tape for the next backup. The problem here is if a backup is missed then this wont be reported.
I think this is a very important facility which has been ommitted by CA. If Arcserve is supposed to be managing the tapes then the least it could do is notify the tape operators in advance if the correct tape is not loaded.

Sorry I cant be any more help but I'm still working on it.

Hmmmm, try just looking in the media pools. Check your scratch set. Ensure the backup options within the gfs is set to overwrite same media name, then blank media, then any media, and simply make sure that you insert a tape that is in the scratch set.

voila

guru - brightstor@hotmail.com

Well, the GFS wizard is pretty painless, it will create the approraite media groups and the job log in the morning would inform you of the next tape needed, regardless of it was in the Daily, Weekly, Monthly media pool.

But since you've already got your tapes setup, ARCServe Guru's suggestion is best - open up the media pool and look at what's in the Scratch Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back