Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which web designer is better for you? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

onpnt

Programmer
Dec 11, 2001
US
I was in a pretty heated debate the other day at a convention I attended on the fine line if you will between a programmer vs. a designer that uses DreamWeaver or FrontPage software for development. The main topic was the idea of who is more intimate with the final product.

Being a programmer for many years I of course had the side of a programmer that wrote a site from notepad or such a tool has far more feel of what is going on and how things are set up in that site then a developer that used a software package to create a site. Of course the gurus promoting FrontPage where at my throat about this concept. The whole thing started with my big mouth mentioning FrontPages problems in just about every aspect of web design but that's another subject.

I'd like to here some views on this topic from all of you. Am I wrong in saying that a programmer that writes the page is more in-depth on what is happening verses a designer using development software forms the site?

Of course this excludes software needed for graphical needs. I am strictly referring to things of a scripting and formatting nature.

This can even be directed to many questions I've seen in "how do I get started in this business and what tools do I need to start?" A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

colcrys,

I disagree with one thing: "without the various FP clones the net would either be really empty..."

I'm not a professional, maybe never will be, i never use a WYSIWYG editor, always by hand (code that is) and I intend to keep building sites till my wee fingers fall off! Not saying I can fill the void when FP users are eventually beaten to death during a hand-coders "coup d'état" but I will certainly try. And there's more of me out there. Wu huu huu huu (evil laugh!)

É
:: ::

My two cents worth....

I like the topic of conversation, and thought i would have my say...

I am a programmer althought not a brilliant one, and i have created some wicked sites.

Take a look

I created these using front page, HOWEVER, i only use front page for the design.. i see what i am creating... Once the template is done.. i use First Page, to program the back end, asp.. etc.

I find firstpage is quite a good code editor, with multicoloured scripting sections, for each type of coding, this enables quick finding of errors, on the page...

The only problems i have.

the main gripe i have with most editors, is the fact that they place the two lines at the top about the software used to create the pages, I REMOVE THEM... I paid for the software, i do not have to advertise it as well.
Also with front page, the asp engine, is no where near advanced enough to do some of the tasks that are needed in my sites, which is why i dont use them...

Front page is an excellent package for beginners, learners, or intermediates, but for advanced programming or backend programming, another scripting program is essential....

well that is all

thanks

P.S. your comments are appreciated

I was debating if this was appropriate but, I was helping someone in the javascript forum in regrads to a javascript quiz and thought it would be interesting to take all these views with this topic and create the questions/answers. anyone want to add to it.
The code is obviously very basic so I don't think anyone here would have a problem with it.

have fun guys.

<html>
<head>
<style>
.question {
border-collapse: separate;
font:600 12pts Georgia;
background-color: #CCCCCC;
}
</style>
<script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot;>
var result = &quot;&quot;;
function val() {
if (!document.frm.ques1[2].checked) {
result += &quot;\nQuestion number one is incorrect thus making me kind of nervous on your web abilities!&quot;;
}
if (!document.frm.ques2[2].checked) {
result += &quot;\nQuestion number two is incorrect thus making me kind of nervous on your web abilities!&quot;;
}
if (result.length > 0) {
alert(result);
return false;
}
else
{
alert(&quot;You answered all the questions correctly and thus are a expert!&quot;);
return true;
}
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<form name=&quot;frm&quot;>
<table>
<tr><td class=&quot;question&quot;>
1. What happens when you forget a ; in your javascript function?
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
<input type=&quot;radio&quot; name=&quot;ques1&quot;>
a. You get a big fat error saying missing ;
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
b. You get a piece of candy from your boss
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
c. Tek-Tips experts point out the silly mistake you made
</td></tr>
</table>

<table>
<tr><td class=&quot;question&quot;>
2. Frontpage gives you what kind of control of your web site?:
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
<input type=&quot;radio&quot; name=&quot;ques2&quot;>
a. Complete Control
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
b. You don't need control so it doesn't matter
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
c. Absolutely no control what so ever so when you get a error you scramble to find it and end up coming to Tek-Tips for help
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
<input type=&quot;button&quot; value=&quot;How did I do?&quot; onclick=&quot;val()&quot;>
<input type=&quot;reset&quot; value=&quot;reset quiz&quot;>
</td></tr>
<table>
</form>
</body>
</html>
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

I'm pretty sure forgetting a ; has really no effect at all on the script though! :) but it is nice to induce paranoia on some beginners with that! :) Gary Haran

The ; only matters if there is more than one command on the same line. However, for PHP and other languages, a missing ; will break the whole page and give a big fat error saying missing a ; .

Rick

Well, at least I passed the quiz -- but I had to paste it into first Notepad and then FP to take the quiz [wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back