Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which version of Linux to use? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

manitoba

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
CA
Hi,

I am new to Linux. Which version of Linux should I use on a x86 box? I plan to use it as a Web server.

Thanks.

Oh oh....
Do you plan to use X ?
For a server I wouldn't recomend it...

My favourite - Debian

But take cover manitoba, there are many opinins out there, and they will no doubt be here any minute - prepare, hide, and read their inputs.

Come back and tell us what you chose, and why, when you made a choice.

The main thing you'll need to decide is whether to use Apache or some other webserver program. Then, pick your distro depending on that. I've used RedHat, SuSE, and Slackware. If I had my choice, I'd use FreeBSD, which, I know, is not Linux. BSD costs as much as Linux (Free download) , and it's rock solid. However, any of them are good.

Iolair MacWalter

I've used solaris, HP-UX, (I know not linux), RH 7,8,9,fedora, and SuSE 9, and for my two cents, I prefer SuSE. Probably for YaST2 - its tip-top, once you get used to it.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

I recommend linux 2.6.7 (or is 2.6.8 out already?).

Asking for distribution?
An up-to-date one. Should at least use a 2.6.1-kernel. (updating from an 2.4.x-kernel will be much work).

I'm using debian and don't like it very much. The package-installer isn't working like expected, and complicated.
Some suspicious gconf-things where installed...

Formerly I used peanut-linux, which I liked more.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Hi,

If it is for testing, i would suggest you look at linuxiso.org and try some of the distributions. If you are new, you can try any distribution. You will learn much from installing the different distributions ;-).

If the webserver should be used in a production environment i would suggest you use debian or redhat.
Apt is the best package installing system for newbies. There is also a port for redhat (apt4prm). Install it ;-)
If you have special requirements you will learn to build your packages from source sometime (especially kernel,apache).

hi,

i would suggest Gentoo-Linux. It has also an portage like the BSD-Distros and it's easy to update. I think Redhat and Suse are awful for updating.
You will like. I think gentoo is exact applicable for you needs.

regards

s/he is a newbie for goodness sake...

Start with a easy Linux distribution such as Knoppix, Mandrake, Suse , MEPIS or Fedora.
Debian and Gentoo will definitely require prior knowledge of Linux to get the full use of it.

Another vote for SuSE here. 9.0 is the 2.4 kernel, 9.1 is the 2.6 kernel.

Apache is the only way to go, IMHO.

If you have existing hardware that you intend to use, you might want to choose your distro based on what hardware is supported.

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with Mandrake. From their Web site, it looks like they are trying to make it easier for novice Linux users to get started. I am also going to check out FreeBSD.

Thanks again.

if you are going to use FreeBSD you also can go and check DEBIAN or GENTOO. FreeBSD isn't for Beginners! Make your own decision. I think beginning with gentoo or debian is better cause you get a deeper knowledge and understanding of your System and how it works. If i use Redhat or SUSE i also can reside on Windows.

This is my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back