Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Unix is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebabbert

Programmer
Nov 14, 2005
SE
This is no troll but I only wonder which Unix is best? I heard that Linux kinda sucks, and Solaris is mature and better? Right now Im using Solaris x86. Would like to stick with one Unix. Which one?

You may not intend it to be a troll, but it is. You're going to get a lot of different answers. Since you haven't defined what "best" is to you, you are going to get peoples subjective opinions based on what they feel is best.

Why don't you define what your goals or needs are? That may make the answer better meet your needs. Otherwise it's just a popularity contest.

I'll just add my layer.

Don't ask "Which Unix is best?".
Ask "Which Unix best fits my needs?" and you will get a.. Er... better answer.
So what are your needs?

-Haben sie fosforos?
-No tiengo caballero, but I have un briquet.

What's wrong with Solaris? Does it have some gliche or impediment that you dis-like or can't deal with? Are you new to Unix or are you just fishing around for something else? There is NOT a "best" Unix. Virtually everyone of the available versions have good and bad points. That guy that said Linux sucks sounds like someone with a very closed viewpoint. I'm writing this response from a Suse Linux system, which sits next to a SCO 5.0.5 Enterprise machine sitting next to an AIX production server sitting next to an HP-Unix test machine. You be the judge.

JP :)

We got both HP-UX and solaris also used in the past SCO unix and AIX, The best for me has to be HP-UX.

That depends on what you want to do i.e. what your workload will be; how much money you (your boss) want to spend; what hardware you intend to run that UNIX on, how many OS partitions you want to run on one hardware box, etc.

HTH,

p5wizard

Since Linux and Solaris are FREE downloads, they are the best! End of argument!

[thumbsup]

Yes, those two are the best too!

The only *nix that is NOT the best is SCO.

SamBones, HAHAHAHAHA!!!

The best Unix, I mean from a technical viewpoint. Scalability, stability, performance, able to serve many users easily. I believe that Solaris comes close to those wishes?

I also believe that Windows is not so close to those wishes?

The best Unix has not yet been released, and maybe not even yet written.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

That Steven Wright quote is so appropriate! [thumbsup2]

Actually... I had just finished writing the best Unix on my PDA when I slipped off my floating lounge into the pool.... [upsidedown]

Annihilannic.

From my experience I would rate as follows

Ease of Use

1. AIX
2. Solaris
3. HP/UX
4. Tru64
5. Sco
6. Redhat
7. Any other Linux

As serveral people have already said. It's what your used to & and what you need the box to do. I've been offered and turned down a room full of IBM kit for free because it still couldn't better a 5 node Tru64 cluster taking up just one rack.

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

I must agree with mrn, we are running tru64,sco,solaris and AIX, and AIX is far the most flexible of them all.

rgds,

R.

This all comes back to horses for courses. I'm also an AIX fan (although the odm is suspiciouly like the Windows registry) but IBM hardware and support costs are a major factor. We needed to install some memory and the costs were 10 times that of the open market but if you don't use IBM memory you the machine is no longer supported and you don't want that on your main production servers which handle large volumes of big money transactions (I support a banking system).

At the other end of the costs scale we're rolling out a system using RedHat Linux on Siemens Primergies and it's fine for what it does. I'm not sure Linux is ready for our main production servers but for a low cost solution I've no complaints. And if you need support there's always TecTips!

Columb Healy

AIX rules the Unix world!

Ever try to add disks or manage disks with Solaris?

Well in AIX you don't have to edit your sd.conf (or whatever file) and the run a few commands to add disks. Just run cfgmgr.

In AIX you don't have to reboot just to mirror/unmirror the rootvg. With SVM you do.

With AIX and Oracle I don't have to edit an /etc/system file to change the semaphores, message queue, or shared memory segments. In Solaris you do.

AIX has much better upgrading and maintenance level installation as well as PTF and APAR installation. Want to know my VRMF in AIX I can run oslevel. lslpp is a much better than Solais' package manager. Also, try to find a VRMF with Solaris. Good luck with that. With AIX I would know it is 4.3.3.-11 or 5.1.0-04. Not with Solaris.

I swear that Sun watches what is being developed in BSD and then adds them to Solaris. Sun is touting their dtrace tool which is very nice, but it was patterned after FreeBSD's ktrace. pkgadd (Solaris) vs. pkg_add (BSD) and on.

IBM just takes it to another level. So much easier and better. I have over 10 years on AIX and over 3 years on Solaris and believe me AIX is better in probably every aspect you can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back