Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which type of conduit? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvermill

Technical User
Dec 3, 2002
US
I am dropping wire (cat 5) from the attic into my computer room. Can I use metal pipe for the drop from the ceiling or should I use PVC. This may sound a bit stupid, but I am going for a high tech look in my computer room and I really hope that I can use metal without problems. Thanks for any input.

You would probably want to check your local codes, but my guess would be that they would want you to use metal. Also make sure you 'firestop' the raceway once all the cables are in place.

franke

Thanks. If you not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Rob in Texas, U.S.A.

There is certainly no trouble using metal, other than underground, I can't think of a situation where metal EMT would not be allowed.

If you want pretty, use aluminum and polish it. Sounds silly, but it makes a beautiful finished product if you want it to look high tech.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Yes, check your local codes. Since most houses are "unrated" structures, your min is probrably PVC, so EMT should be above the code specs. I would also caulk or foam all penetrations throught headers and footers for drafts and insects/rodents. If your local code says that your house is an unrated structure, then I would not use firestop caulk. It is very expensive, $25.00/tube verses $2.00/tube for latex caulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back