Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Testing Products to Use!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrost10

Programmer
Jun 3, 2001
CA
I've seen people say to use transcender, selftest software, and Measure Up. But which is the best? Which company should I spend my money on for the best bet of prepping for the tests? Who provides the best content, interface, and support?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D'Arcy

I used Test King when I took my MCSA, and they were dead on accurate word for word questions and answers.

of course, if you want to avoid using braindumps and EARN your certs like you ought to (to avoid getting fired because you can't find your butt with both hands), you may find Transcender tests and a small practice lab to be suitable.

The basic MCSE W2K books, 2 or 3 PCs with Pentium 133MHz, CDROM, 128MB RAM, 1.6GB HD, and an ethernet port, a small hub or switch, and 2 or 3 Cat-5 cables ought not to set you back more than about $400.00, if you're adept at using Used bookstores, Ebay, and Pricewatch...

And then you will have actually done the stuff, and no one can call you a "Paper MCSE"...

Frankly, I think that is the better approach by more than a mile... you get the training, you get the experience, you get the moral high ground, and you can sell the stuff to another potential MCSE when you're done (and no, I'm not done yet)...

BTW, If you pick PCs with a minimum 450MHz CPU, you can even reuse it for 2003!!

Setnaffa is an MCP-W2K (working on MCSE-W2K) with a few other certs, too...

There you MCSE's go, assuming all microsoft certs are all about servers, networks, and windows OS admin...
;)

Actually, I'm an ASP.NET developer, and I have over a year of .NET development already. I agree with you that knowledge and experience will always be paramount for passing the tests; but I've never taken an MS exam before, so thats really what I'm looking for: good study material that will prepare me for the format of the test, and a good overview of what areas I should ensure I'm up to speed on.

Thanks,

D'Arcy

I always thought MS Press were good. And I like Sybex, even though some say it is the devil... Worked for me, what can I say.
[noevil]

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

I think MS Press has been great for past exam certs, but there is some issue with the new .NET study guides. Many feel that they were rushed to press, and that there are a few too many discrepancies (I even saw one person say what was on the exam was hardly covered in the book).

I'm hopeful that their second and third editions of the books are going to be better. I do have one of the asp.net study guides from MS, and the alternate ones I've picked up from 3rd parties are far superior.

Just what I've found though
:)

Thanks,

D'Arcy

if you use testking, just be sure when you can answer all the questions in the guide, that you can explain why you came to that conclusion and how. that way yuo know you know it.

Which Test King did you use? I have found a few different ones. Thanks for your help.

You might want to check out

faq468-4224

Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Personally I'm sticking with my find, Benchmarque Examiner. Pity noone else posted up their opinions when i asked this question about it, because now i feel like a bit of a loner out here

£50 for the full 7test package (4core and 3 electives) and well I'm feeling confident. And they're a british company, which helps with my scruples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back