Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which System should I upgrade too! 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US
Hi,

I would like to pose a question to the group.

I am running Win98 FE., I am thinking of upgrading to the next level.

My question is which one? I must tell you I am not a big MS fan. So I don't want XP unless it comes with the new Laptop.

I also do not want the upgrade only versions of the software. My thinking, wrong as it maybe is that, if the system needs to be re-installed it will become a two step process.

I also won't go to Win98 SE, because it would only be a baby step up. So I guess it narrows the choices too:

Win. ME
Win. 2000

I don't know if there is another version not mentioned for home users. If so please include it or mention it too me.

I also would like to know the ups and downs of each along with the following:

approx price (of a full install version.)

Thanks

You'd be absolutely nuts to even consider "upgrading" to ME.
Seriously.

98SE is a solid option, but really dated.

(Have a look at the Windows life-cycle: How long you're going to be able to get support/patches/etc. should figure in your decision heavily.

I LOVE Win2K. Excellent choice, but again, pushing six years old.

XP is winning me over. Slowly.
Avoid the Home version, go with Pro.

If you buy a new machine, you're going to get XP (unless you're buying a true new machine sans OS).

Tired of waiting for an answer? Try asking better questions. See: faq222-2244

I agree with the above. Avoid ME at all costs. It may or may not give you issues, but it's hardly different from Windows 98 except for a few, very small differences.

It took me a while as well to switch from 2000 to XP. But to tell you the truth, there's not a whole lot of difference. XP's interface can be easily tweaked to "look" just like Windows 2000. So if you're not into the new look that MS is selling now, that shouldn't be a worry.

However, XP has better DirectX integration than its Win2K compadre. If you only work in Office apps, then that won't matter much to you. But for multimedia, it can mean a huge difference.

Last but not least, XP has a longer lifespan of support left. So there's really no reason to go with 2000 over XP.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I also agree with all the above postings. I have used WIN98SE for a great many years and I still love it, because I can use
good old DOS command to xcopy (or xxcopy) files from one computer to another using a router and even wireless transfer.
What I hate about WIN XP on my new DELL laptop are those stupid looonnnggg path like "My documents and settings....,etc...." which are so annoying in a DOS command to transfer files from one computer to another; it make batch files so much more complicated.

I'm also not an avid MS fan, and therefore i am slowly thinking about moving over to Linux and I'm presently looking for a good, reliable distro. I can dump WORD anytime, because Open.Office from SUN works just fine and it's free.

Charles.

hi again trybry;
This is a LAPTOP?....right?
the hardware will have some limitations, so XP is probably not even possible....
I will forget you even muttered WinME...[pipe]
Win SE will give you the most stable without going to 2K which can be quite complicated, and quite frankly a PITA to use correctly.
since you and I and others are disenchanted with MS products...suggest a gander here
when thinking about NEW, especially if you're more into multimedia...notice the starting price (though I haven't checked on how much it'll go up after any necessary add-ons)

As far as MS;
It comes down to trying to install and use 2K (become familiar with - better get familiar with NTFS, File Permissions and Networking)...or stick with WinSE at most for now. If ever you get XP,....I agree get XP Pro, not Home.

POST your exact System specs and Laptop model make and Number for more decisive opinions.

If you want to venture into Linux land....get Knoppix on CDROM to become familiar with it somewahat(free - and no OS install - it runs from the CDROM ) there's Mandrake, Slackware, Gentoo, Gnome, Fedora and even FreeBSD, BeOS, SuSe, and many many others - definitely OpenOffice (free) though as was mentioned.

ohh - you said
I also do not want the upgrade only versions of the software. My thinking, wrong as it maybe is that, if the system needs to be re-installed it will become a two step process.
It will be a ONE STEP process, even if you get the Upgrade Disk only (upon reinstall, you just put the older CD in for verification for only a moment during install..there's just a bit more to it, but more about that later -- it's easy though)....unless you have a Compaq/HP or some other funky thing going on.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

edit;
You "could" run win2K on a FAT32 or even 16 - if you're at all familiar with DOS and like True DOS mode for certain things like cgkeller mentioned.

Since it prolly is a laptop though and came with 98FE, you prolly can't get any USB 2.0 speeds no matter what anyway - it depends on whatever you're looking for as the "benefits" of upgrading.....

I can't say for sure how much further "up" (what differences there are) using FAT32 on Win2k would be - over just using 98SE with all the updates......some say NTFS is much more stable....and maybe it is for certain things, but again - forget True DOS (though the Command from within Win (Virtual DOS) is still there, but different)...and it be "almost" like learning a new OS....especially configuring networking and Directory structure....and Recovery is different too.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

I would go further and suggest that you wash your mouth out for saying "ME".
You are probably limited in your choices by the hardware driver availability. If you aren't afraid of the loss of MS support SE would be a viable upgrade. Usable, and most of the glitches are worked out. 2K is about at the same reliability level as SE as far as I can see but after my last problem with it I will take the SE series known glitches.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Also, since you are likely running many legacy apps, XP does have a setting called "compatibility mode" in which you can set a program (EXE) to run in a different environment - see
Now although this feature is nothing spectacular, it does salvage some older apps from dying with your upgrade. So if not 98SE, XP should be your other choice.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hi cdogg;
The "compatability mode" option in XP is fine for use with older apps and DOS games....but Win2K has the same as well...it's just not installed (in 9x/ME, it's installed, though ugly) . It's called MKCOMPAT.EXE on the 2K CDROM and does the almost exact same thing as XP's does, granted it's not so pretty, but not as ugly as 98 ver.

I can't believe how "little" info there is out there on this tool
You just need Win2k SP2 though and register the DLL, and use the "shortcut" ONLY to modify as in XP, not the EXE

The Problem with XP and an older laptop is the HCL (Hardware Compatability List) and also the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer)...especially since it's 98FE to start and Lappy's have a S-l-o-w- HDD and usually less CPU power

TT4U

Notification:

I've found another thread from some gaming forum...BUT, it's only avail to me as a Google cache and discusses many of the small idiosyncracies between XP and 2K
see;
this also has a copy of the Install and Use instructs for MKCOMPAT.EXE

TryBry;
MS used to have a d/l "CHKUPGRD.EXE, though if you have a friend with the Win2K CD you can check your "upgrade-ability" to Win2K....in other words, if your Hardware will accept it or not. It doesn't mean you HAVE to use an Upgrade disk..you could then Buy a Full Retail version if you like.

ahh..... Here it is;

----------------------------------------
(this below - is text clipped from an MSCE test preparation thingy - i found through google)

Open the Run dialog box and, including the path to the \i386 folder on the Windows 2000 installation CD-ROM, type winnt32 /checkupgradeonly in the Open text box.

Typing the 32-bit Windows 2000 setup routine with the /checkupgradeonly switch included runs the Microsoft Windows 2000 Readiness Analyzer Wizard. On all operating systems capable of running the Microsoft Windows 2000 Readiness Analyzer Wizard, the upgrade report appears on the Report System Compatibility screen of the wizard. On a computer running Windows 9x, the wizard generates a log file in %windir% named UPGRADE.TXT. On a computer running Windows NT, the wizard generates a log file in %systemroot% named WINNT32.LOG. By running the 32-bit Windows 2000 setup routine with the /checkupgradeonly switch and an answer file, upgrade reports can be logged to a central location.

TT4U

Notification:

TT4U,
Actually, I was under the impression that trbry was buying a new laptop:
"[blue]...So I don't want XP unless it comes with the new Laptop[/blue]"

Cheers on the information about "compatibility mode" in 2K! I was not aware of that option.

I know I've said this in many recent threads, but I just can't see a reason to go with Windows 2000 over XP. I can understand it if you already have 2000 and don't want to upgrade, but it doesn't make any ¢ to me when you're considering which to upgrade to.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

cdogg;
Welcome on the info....no prob,
I mistakenly thought you were pushing XP over 2K as "this" upgrade he wants to do now.....my apologies if I took you out of context. I was just trying to save Trybry the hassle of trying (and failing) to install XP on that machine....is all..

I would much rather go with Win2K personally if it's a choice between XP and 2K, if not just for the Product Activation crud you must put up with. But mostly b/c XP is 2K with glitter to me, AND the worst part, you still need to administer XP like 2K, but MS just makes it "more of a B*&^%" to do.

Things like "removing" Guest, actually just "Hides" the icons from Desktop view....it's still there, underlying, hidden. (and a very necessary part of the networking features, but they wont tell you that)

Kinda like that Steve Gibson's Network Bondage Articles concerning the Win9x/ME/NT OSs, and the way the Protocol/Service "disappears" from the Network Applet, BUT is still functioning (bound) underneath, hidden from view. -- Plus - all the Bloat...and it's slow as heck...and there's many other things -- I'll stop there though

I say XP Pro over home, for the more intuitive Networking and Recovery options..butthat's just me and my 2¢
[smile]

Anyway -- it's always good to see you guys
tt4u

TT4U

Notification:

Hi,

Thanks guys you've given me more than enough to chew on.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back