Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Server to put Powervault on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukon10

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
US
I have a domainserver, terminal server, and SQL server. I have purchased Veritas v10 and remote agent. Which Server would you guys put the powervault and software on?? The main data I want to back up is on my SQL server, but I need some data off of my terminal server as well. Domainserver host GC, DNS. Please give me your opinion.. Thanks in advance :)

I would NOT put it on the SQL Server system. SQL Server uses a lot of the memory and doesn't leave much for anything else.

I don't know about terminal server, but I don't think I would put it on the domain server as that gets heavy usage also.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

so if you wouldn't put it on none of them where would you put it?? I used to have it all on one server and split them. All i'm gonna do is run a backup at night one time... Would it hurt on SQL server?

If I could afford it, I would get another server (a small one). But that's probably not an option. Go ahead and put it on the SQL Server, but expect a performance hit. If you aren't 24x7 then you could run the backups on the off hours and won't see the performance hit.

I have SQL Server and BE on the same server and see quite a bit of performance problems. I'm trying to get BE off my SQL Server onto another server. I am responsible for a 24x7 database, so having both on the same server causes me problems.

-SQLBill

We are just 8 to 5... So I'm thinking I can get away with it :) Gonna try it anyway... Can always take it off.

You will probably have no trouble. Just run your backups after hours and BE shouldn't compete with SQL Server for memory.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back