Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Sendmail Program for Windows XP Apache system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LavenhamPhoto

Technical User
Jan 4, 2006
GB
I need some help setting up a mailsending program to work with apache on (a windows XP based) server.

We host photographs we take on our website with a gallery, and basic ordering system. The end result, a web form needs to be sent to an email address in our office.

I've tried looking for sendmail, but can't find a Windows version, (or any guides of how to set it up!) I then found 'bcwmail.exe' and set apache andthe relevant files in my cgi-bin to let them know which program sends the mails, but although the webform I'm tring to send finds the bcwmail program, it flags up errors.

The line used to install bcwmail.exe is
bcwmail.exe -install yourhost youruserid where "yourhost" is the address of your smtp server and "youruserid" is the default "From:" address
BUT what would the address of the SMTP server be? Seeing as we don't have one!!! "localhost"?

Or am I on completely the wrong track?

Can anyone suggest (and possibly guide me through the setting up of) a sendmail program to use with Apache on Windows?

Most scripts are written to use sendmail in one of two ways. The first is from the command line where the script uses a form to gather information then puts it into a format that sendmail understands. The second way is to use the smtp method or use the regular e-mail protocol. You can setup your script to use smtp and use an actual e-mail account from your isp. If this is not acceptable, there are a few free mail servers for Windows based machines. One of them can be found at I don't know if this can be accessed from the command line or if those commands are compatible with sendmail's commands but it should work fine as an smtp/pop3 server. To use your own mail server, you will need to create a dns "MX" record for your domain.

if your project is php - based, you could use [link=http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net]phpmailer[/url] to handle the sending of mails. you can use as an embedded smtp - client for an existing mail - account (on a mailserver).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back