Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Security Certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi I have been dealing with my companies network, support and security for the last few years and am now moving into a prodomenently network/security role.

With this I'd like to become certified can anyone suggest the best place to start?
I've been reading about SCNP and CompTIA but where do I start and are these the right ones to start with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Ian

What sort of technologies have you been working with (MS, Novell, Unix etc)? What sort of size networks?
Do you have any existing certs at all? If so, what?
You may find the MCP's that relate to security are enough for your needs, but if you are doing work on a consultancy basis, you may want to consider the CISSP, which is very hard to get but highly respected.

John

I currently look after MS networks 2003 and Checkpoint firewalls on Nokia machines.
I'm currently studying for my CCSA and have been told my role is moving away from the support but into design and security.
Although I plan to take the Checkpoint and Nokia exams they are focused on their systems so wanted to see if there was a anything that covered security overall.
The COMPTIA S+ seems like a good place to start but haven't found any forums with anyone who has actually taken the it.

Ian

You will find plenty of people in this forum that have taken it:

forum889

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back