Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHICH RELEASE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATIM

MIS
Apr 15, 2000
TR
I want to install Linux for training&testing on my NT 4.0 workstation.Which release&version of Linux server do you suggest me?

Mandrake or Corel are probably your best options.&nbsp;&nbsp;These two are geared towards the Windows user and invites you in.&nbsp;&nbsp;Corel does, however, have the problem of taking away too much control sometimes (especially the setup).&nbsp;&nbsp;Everybody's really been backing Mandrake though lately.&nbsp;&nbsp;That will probably be your best bet.&nbsp;&nbsp;It would do you some good to do a little research yourself because this is only my opinion. <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

Go with Mandrake for ease and control of your installation. Version 7.0 has a nice graphical installation package that will allow you to configure the os that way you want, not the way they want as with Corel.

Another vote for Mandrake from me as well :)&nbsp;&nbsp;As well as the aforementioned advantages, you get a lot more software to install and play around with.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also choose from 3 levels of security (low, medium, and high) depending on how you want to use it.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Hint:&nbsp;&nbsp;Go for high whatever you want to do with it :)

Corel linux security is a joke, you may want to go with mandrake if security is important to you.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back