Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which RAM should I buy? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougsterMG

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
GB

I don't which of these I should buy:

Kingston KHX3200AK2/1G dual 512MB HyperX DDR Ram (2-3-2-6-1)

Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO dual 512MB XMS DDR Ram (2-3-3)

Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPROdual 512MB XMS DDR Ram (2-3-2-6)

Which of these do you people think I should purchase for my PC? I would really like to hear which you think is the best and why.

Yes, you can. Of course, the faster RAM will only operate at the speed that's set in the BIOS. Also, one drawback to faster DDR memory is usually higher latency (as discussed earlier). So unless you plan to overclock, it's probably not worth it.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Marsta,

I have exactly the same prob with deciding between Kingston and Corsair, I think they are very similar to be honest.

I have heard that the kingston is a great overclocker providing you get the B5 chips and not the C5 chips.

But

the corsair ram has flashy leds (sad I know) and Corsair does have a good reputation.

I will probably go for corsair LL sticks.

Let me know what you decide on.

corsair xms with the platinum heat spreaders. can't beat them for the $$. you can get kingston hyper-x, which is marginally better, but they cost 10-20% more.

if you're overclocking, decide how far you want to go, and how you plan on keeping it cool.

check they have some of the best customer service, free shipping, and nearly the lowest prices. (the lowest I would trust).

I have heard that the Corsair XMS PC3200 is better for overclocking than the Corsair XMS PC4000. Also from what I've heard and read on the web, Corsair's XMS range is in general better for overclocking than Kingston's HyperX modules.

But I have ordered the Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPROdual modules as they have very good latency figures, great write-ups, brilliant reliability and are good for a small to medium amount of overclocking.

Don't worry nlm9802, this machine runs pretty cool due to a hell of a lot of fans, a good air circulation, well thought out layout and a great case. No problems on the cooling front!

thread751-759666
I just wrote the above thread and then come across this thread.

I've not heard any of you mention Crucial is there a reason for this?

I was actually planning on buying the PC2100 1GB by Crucial (or PC2700 if my CPU or board allows, I don't know yet).

Maybe I've just been hell bent on thinking this would be the best brand to go with because I've now read their site from top to bloody bottom and I have their spiel on 'Micron' being the best and them having less likely a chance on failure/error- burned on my brain. But what of their 'limited' lifetime warranty, whereas every other manufacturer has a 'lifetime warranty' pure and simple. I really don't know any better anyway.. so is there any enlightenment to this? [3eyes]

And yes it is a case of money, but I am also incredibly fed up with fatal errors on my PC when trying to render in Cad. [sad]

As you've discovered, Crucial's manufacturer and supplier is Micron (a highly reputable company). There's definitely nothing wrong with buying Micron. When it comes to reliability, they are pretty high up on the list.

If you look back at the 3rd Jan.9th post, you'll see that Blujacket briefly stuck his nose in to suggest buying from Crucial.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with Crucial (Micron), as you'll have reliability and compatibility on your side. However, typically other brands like Corsair are better known for overclockability without sacrificing much stability or increase in latency.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

cdogg, it wasn't my nose but something further south. I was using my big toe
that day. With a blood clot in my leg the toe was big.​

"Look, it's nice that you want the most for your money but this is really a win-win decision. Man, I'd hate to see the day you had to (or will have to) decide on wedding invitations."

Yeah, but unlike a marriage, the computer will still be fun in 4 years. Think of it as a time investment into something worthwhile:)

quote "I have heard that the Corsair XMS PC3200 is better for overclocking than the Corsair XMS PC4000. Also from what I've heard and read on the web, Corsair's XMS range is in general better for overclocking than Kingston's HyperX modules."

well.. you would probably do better with PC4000, this would allow an even 250 fsb on the processor and memory.

not sure where you heard that about the ram.. the 3200 will only get up to about 215 fsb before it starts getting buggy, ram is generally much tighter than cpu's as far as OC'ing goes. the 4000 "should be" good up to about 260-265 fsb, it was designed to run at 250.
If you're feeling froggy you could run some pc4400 (275fsb).
on a 3.2c that would put you at a cool 4.4 GHz running your memory 1:1 It would probably take some voltage mods and serious (read water or vapor) cooling to keep it stable.

personally, I'd just wait on the new cpu's coming out. 3.4's just hit the shelves, and prescotts will be here very soon (.09 micron vs northwoods .13) should translate to much faster chips, 4GHZ+ stock from intel :)
If you can't afford them, they will drive the northwoods down to a reasonable price within a couple months.

but I digress, back to memory.
Brands I would get in order from most to least recommended:
1. Corsair
2. Mushkin
3. Kingston (hyperX)
4. OCZ
5. Geil
6. Crucial
7. Viking
8. Kingston (non hyperx)
9. most others
10. buffalo

and as far as speed, you'll probably want pc3700-4200 depending on where you want to be as far as GHz..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back