Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which Ram should i buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizunb

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
CA
Hi people
I have celeron 800mhz already have 256mb ram
I am buying 256mb more, but the problem is I am not sure if the ram i am buying is compatible with my pc.

I am buying 256mb SDRAM P133MHZ.
I dont know the type of the ram thats already in my computer also I have no idea if this will be compatible with my computer or not. Is there a way of finding out??

I am sure you guyz know.

The celeron 800MHz is going to use either PC100 or PC133 SDRAM. PC133 is supposed to be backwards compatible to run at 100MHz, so I would go with that if you're not sure.

If you use a utility called Belarc Advisor, which you can download, it will tell you all about your system specs.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Just remember, using PC133 on a PC100 system is a hit or miss proposition. Some machines will take it, some won't.

Not all PC-133 is backward compatible with PC-100. Check your mobo manufacturer and see what is recommended.

You should try checking you existing RAM chip. There might be a sticker on it stating its specs. You can also make sure with the sales person that sells you the RAM that it is PC100/PC133 compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back