Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which RAM shd I buy for AMD K6-2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmdHelp

Programmer
Jul 17, 2003
IN
Hi ,
I have AMD K6-2 500 Mhz processor . ASUS motherboard . 20 GB Seagate HDD . And i have a 64 MB ram already . I wanna insert one more ram of either 128 or 256 MB ... But what specifications do I need to buy this RAM .
Also , which one will be better , 128 or 256 .
I use my PC only for home use .

Pls help

Alex

You buy the memory by the mainboard specs, not the cpu specs. Your best bet is the ASUS site, there could be some suggestions there. Other than that, memory manufacturers such as kingston give some advice about various brands in their web sites.

Visit the Crucial home site for proprietary computer recommendations. If generic, home built, most would run fine on the "SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V". You can also get the same, EXCEPT in CL3--however it's 'potential' is not as fast as CL2.
Your system would probably run fine with the PC100, but since PC133 is backward compatible, I'd get it for future upgrades calling for the faster 133.
For lots of memory-hungry ap's, 256 would be better; less hungry, 128. Often, 256 is less than proportionately more than 128: in which case, go ahead & get the 256. Hard to get too much ram!
Very few comp's. call for 'Registered" ram or for 'ECC' ram. NOTE: Crucial will RMA/exchange if you buy incompatible ram, which is done by only a few companies. If buying Crucial, be sure & buy directly from Crucial.com., itself--free shipping & usually like in 2 days it's here. HTH & good luck. sdlomi

I am still not clear . I am a novice in this field. Pls give me Simple instructions . What shd i say when i go to buy RAM

Alex

Get the 128 SDRAM. Lots of older computers won't accept the 256. There are many former posts in this forum about people wanting to know why their 256 won't work. The 256 might work, but my guess is it won't.

Jim

Also, there's no point in getting PC133 unless you know you're system is going to take it. PC133 isn't as compatible on older motherboards (newer PC133 modules are pretty dense). Stick with PC100. The next upgrade with probably be DDR SDRAM anyway or something better.

I agree that your mobo probably can't handle sticks of RAM greater than 128MB.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

MY K6-2 450 MUST have the PC-100 and not more that 128Mb in each slot. I am also using an Asus mobo from that same period, therefore I am sharing from my experience of having to exchange the pc-133 for pc-100.

thanx to all ,
Is there anyway I can find out whether my present RAM is pc100 or pc133 ., by any software . Or will it be written on the RAM somewhere .
Also pls suggest me some good brands . Is Huyndai good ?
thanx

alex

Download AIDA32 (from and run. It will tell almost everything you want to know about your computer. Current memory type, size, location etc. and often gives a URL to the manufacturer. Also check out your mobo details and check the manuf. site for specs and it should lead you to what memory will suit, i.e. PC100 - PC133, 128 - 256 etc.
Good luck

hi,
i dowloaded the above software . It is excellent . But it didnt said anything abt my RAM type , i looked everything in it .
Info I got is as below ,
Motherboard ID 10/19.99-ALADDIN5-P5A-B-00
Motherboard name ASUS P5A-B

Aboubt CPU ,

CPU type AMD K6-2, 500 Mhz (5x100)
CPU Alias Chomper Extended, K6-2-CXT
CPU Stepping CXT/A
L1 Code cache 32kb
L1 Data cache 32kb
L2 Cache 0

Then in Memory ,
Total 63MB
Used 63MB

What to do

alex

Alex,

In AIDA try > Motherboard > SPD . This should show you a "Device Description" area, and below that two columns - "Field" and "Value". Under "Field" you should see "Memory Module Properties" with a lot of detail, and under "Value" all of the technical values of your installed memory.

Hope this helps.
Belrac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back