Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Project Management Software? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

5ilver5aracen

Programmer
Oct 24, 2004
GB
Hi
Can anyone recommend a good project management package other than MS Project? Web based would be preferred I think with a client login as well. Its for a company of 5 people that aren't totally IT literate but they do need an electronic solution.
Many thanks in advance

We use Planview. It is a PPM tool, web server based. We have about 250 people using it though.

I have been using Primavera for approx. 10 years. I manage 300 +/- projects, each containing 200 activities. Also have cost and resource info in each! Tried MS Project, primavera is better.
It can be wed-based and much more powerful than Project!

Hello

There are so many software on the market. We use HLP-SMILE, it integrates PPM and document management in 1 platform. It makes it super easy for anyone to do their follow-ups and everyone is notified as soon as a new version comes out or a document or a planning changes. You can find it a
Thanks
Alex

I recommend you Wrike ( It is web-based and, in my opinion, works better than MS Project that we’d tried before. We have a team of 12 separated by hundreds of miles and it works perfectly for us. As soon as you sing up, you are given your own personal working space to create tasks and share them. The progress is really easy to follow as the system has a built in Gantt Chart (timeline feature).
Try the basic version, which is unlimited free.

Regardless of what solution you pick, of you go with a Web based solution, BEWARE, and do your homework. You need to check out the companies track record, security procedures, backup procedures, etc. If you are relying on a 3rd party to house your sensitive project information, and business critical systems, be very careful of just taking a "Free" internet site. You could compromise your clients, or if the site goes under, where is your data then?

There are many reputable companies, you just need to assess the risk to your own business before going with a web based provider, including where they are hosted, and what processes are in place in their hosting facility to protect your information from other users, or theft.

Personally, I perfer a solution that can be deployed on my company servers (or client's server) and full control of senstive information is retained, as well as control of backup processes and procedures.

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

mtnbikes51 (IS/IT--Management) 21 Jun 07 14:42
I have been using Primavera for approx. 10 years. I manage 300 +/- projects, each containing 200 activities. Also have cost and resource info in each! Tried MS Project, primavera is better.
It can be wed-based and much more powerful than Project!

I'm totaly agree! It's good advice! Primavera is very functional and comfortable! We use it for a 7 years... An d there is a web appication MyPrimavera to show data from DB of Primavera.

http://projectmanagement.com.ua
There is a Project Management System that my company has been looking to use. It is called JIRA []

Customers of theirs include: Adobe, HSBC, Cisco, Oracle, Samsung, Verisign, Yahoo!, American Express, Wester Union, BMW, Target, GE... and so many more [ Complete List: ]

This has incredible control, even down to defining work flows. There is WAY too much to describe in here. I would strongly recommend checking out the site. I can see why such strong names use this.

We use RationalPlan ( as the current project management tool.
It's not web based but it comes with a free project viewer so you can distribute you project to your team at no cost.
Since for each project/set of projects we have one project manager which is the responsible person, he is the only one entitled to alter the planning while the others can see it only and report their status by email

My vote is for Primavera. Again it depends on what kind of projects you are going to manage and your budget for purchasing and maintaining the software license.

I have been using Basecamp for about 4 years now, and have come to love it's simplicity and usefulness. 37signals has put together a great suite of products that can handle most of your needs. I have a post that goes over some more uses of basecamp at

We have been using PlantShare from (10 users), provides basic project management functions; if you need something affordable and do not need all the features that Primavera or MSProject and alike have, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back