Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Processor is better&w/o any error AMD Athlon XP or Pentium 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 30, 2002
PH
I want know so I can decide which to buy to be sure that I get the best. Thanks for your assistance!

I take it your planning on installing 95/98? I know a lot of people may differ but I run a Pentium 4 right now on Windowx XP Home Edition and it works awesome. Ive never had any errors, hangs, failures. Its been nice as I was acustomed to 98's invalid page faults. The only roblem with XP is it is a lot more demanding with the requirements and some of the software is incompatible at first but a lot of companys have XP updates.

I havent had a lot of expierence with AMD Athlons but when I had used one I was getting more crashes then I am with my Pentium 4. Of course that could of just been my buddies computer.

Walks? what type of AMD Athlon you use it before? is it Thunderbird, Palomino or XP core? How many MHZ? What type of error do you encounter?
What type of Pentium 4 you use? is it a Big chip or a small chip type? How many GHZ? Are you using any Oracle Application? it works? on Pentium 4.

Walks? what type of AMD Athlon you use it before? is it Thunderbird, Palomino or XP core? How many MHZ? What type of error do you encounter?
What type of Pentium 4 you use? is it a Big chip or a small chip type? How many GHZ? Are you using any Oracle Application? it works on your Pentium 4?

ive got a 1.2 ghz thunderbird on win xp pro and it works just fine, i run office 2k premium, an asus a7v266-e board with 512mb pc2100 ddr ram.

i also have a 2 ghz northwood p4 on win xp home with office xp standard and i also get no errors,

so what is exactly your question, which is better? which runs certain apps better? maybe i dont understand, but you cant go wrong with either

hope i helped [afro]

Both will provide error free computing. I, myself love Athlons, and have never had a problem with them. Really it is a personal preference. Some prefer Intel, some prefer AMD. From my expierence, the preference split is about 50%/50% among tehnically inclined users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back