Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which perl (script) editor for a beginner - if any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingoldsby

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I'm starting pretty close to the beginning, and wondering if there is a program which is appropriate for editing, learning, and running examples of code - such as from tutorials.

I have downloaded ActiveStates's Komodo as a trial and will need to decide if it's right to buy some time soon. I've used it very little so far. (Looks like it does funny things to the computer while doing a debug routine.)

Recommendations would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.

Brian

I have heard Komodo is pretty awesome, I use Perl Builder myself, also not free, but I got it a few years ago as payment for writing a script. There are some free perl IDE's too, someone will let you know where to get them I am sure, I would if I knew whre to get them but a goggle search should find a few. Search for "Perl IDE

I should mention that I've never used Komodo, so I can't comment on its benefits.

However, I firmly believe that anyone trying to learn a programming language should initially avoid using IDEs at all costs. That means that you have to gain an understanding of how the language *really* works, rather than having it dressed up by an IDE that hides everything away from you. Once you know how the language works, then is the time to try an IDE.

I use Emacs for Perl. That can take a bit of effort to learn properly. I've used TextPad on Windows before and that was ok. On Linux, GEdit and Kate both have Perl syntax-highlighting. I've heard good things about Scite too, though I've never used it.

Actually, I'm not really trying to cut corners learning perl. I was just thinking about a Regex editor that I have which gives a tree-like explanation of every expression and portion of an expression as you type them. Thought something like that might be of value.

Also getting the script or the parts to run means moving it to an active server (which I have - located somewhat remotely), but is inconvienent to do over and over again.)

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for the comments.

Brian

:pe sub z{system("clear");VIM::MSG("Got Perl?")}

so i can do

:pe z

Kordaff

you can install perl and a server on your PC and run your scripts locally, most of here do that I believe.

solutionsoft has perlbuilder 2 pro on special right now for $99, I paid $200 a few years back. I recommend the pro version but if you can live with the limitations of the standard version it's only $49.

you can download an evaluation copy and try it if you wanted to.

Usually is good to have a simple editor and run your scripts from the command line instead of inside a Perl IDE.

There are a lot of good editors out there, just google “Perl editor” and you’ll see.

If you’re thinking about buying, then I strongly recommend getting 'ActiveState Komodo', and 'Perl Dev Kit' , or the whole 'ActivePerl Pro Studio'.

But ‘I think’ after some time you will see that using just an editor with highlighting and cmd or cygwin, (if you are in windows), debugging the scripts yourself, is much better than using an extreme perl studio.

Personally I use UltraEdit(editor) and cmd or cygwin on Windows, or KEdit(editor on KDE) or ee(editor on freebsd) or vi (editor on linux) and csh(shell/command line) on Linux/FreeBSD.

The choice is yours

``The wise man doesn't give the right answers,
he poses the right questions.''
TIMTOWTDI

Can anyone find the editors' thread? Can't seem to lay my hand to it.
This has come up before

Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

FAQ219-5835 is a good place to start, forgot there was an FAQ to go with this (Cheers icrf)

Any additions/further recommendations you can message icrf from there (be advised to stay on topic though ;-))

Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Thanks, all,

Good words and advice. I appreciate it much.

Brian

(except I'm still working on this one:
:pe sub z{system("clear");VIM::MSG("Got Perl?")}
so i can do
:pe z
Kordaff

hmm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back