Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which PC Tablet to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sainttm

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the dumm question(s) but I am not 100% and want to check before spending any money and regretting it.

I am wanting a PC Tablet for serveral reasons;
*To be able to draw (like normal, so it draws the amount of pressure applied) with photoshop CS
*web development with dreamweaver
*wireless connection with 802.11g
*lightweight, portable and takes up less space
In addition to this I also want to be able to purduce DVD-/+ Dual layer and have a good size display.

I have from those requirements fount the Acer Travelmate C301XMi to be the best match to the requirements, a good HD size, RAM, CPU and display and to top it all off it comes with a DVD+RW -Dual Layer burner. Only problem is Im trying to find out if there worth getting, Ive tried a few forums and none of which replied so far (im hoping this is better).

Any help would be much appricated and if there is any other recommendtions to compare it against, its always good to have an alternative in mind as a backup.

Regards,

Shane

I have a toshiba portege 200 that I like a lot, but you would need to use an external dvd drive (which you would then have to carry around).

My friend got a Gateway tablet that he's very happy with. I'm not sure if it has a DVD burner, but it does have some sort of CD/DVD drive that I assume could be upgraded. It has the keyboard on the unit (no docking required) and has a large display. I think he paid around $2000 for it.

The only Acer tablet I've seen was very small, so I don't think it's the one you're looking at.

Brian
"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that divide people into two groups and those that don't. I belong to the second group." - tag line I stole

There is a Toshiba Tablet with internal DVD-RW. A Satellite model. Try to see it at CompUSA.

My Tobshiba Portege 3505 is excellent with fast enough CPU for Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition, TurboCAD, video playback, Skype VOIP, wireless 802.11b, GPS - Street Atlas USA, Google Earth, Cybercorder - records audio, Roxio Easy CD Creator, V-Com System Suite, Mozilla browser, Irfan photo viewer, etc. to give you a few ideas.

It has 512 MB Ram (can use 1GB), but get a bigger drive if possible than my 40 GB HD or use USB or Firewire (1394)external drive.

This Portege rec'd top tablet PC reviews a couple years ago. The optimum layout of keyboard, ports, volume control, tablet screen buttons next to the keyboard, SD & CF memory slots, etc. is terrific. There is a bit of screen fading on the sides after three years of intensive use - over 20 hours per week.

Any Q's? Just ask.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back