Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which OS do i choose??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smily1

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
ZA
I have got an old Pentium PRO 200MHz, it does not have an MMX 3DNow, etc. I have 64meg ram, 13 gig hard drive, Samsung 24x CD-RW, and i would really appreciate, if u guys could suggest what OS to use, as i am having problems with 98, could u plzz give me another option on what u guys suggest i should run to get the maximum performance out of my PC??

Your swift Reply would be greatly appreciated

:) SMILY :)

that depends on what you plan on doing with it.. for a server (guessing that by the pent pro) i'd go with nt4.. if you don't like windows 98.. there's always windows 95.

or, if you don't want windows at all.. you could try linux. Red Hat or Mandrake are the most popular among new users. Also look into freebsd and debian.

Are you using Win98 or Win98SE? Consider making the jump to SE, but I wouldn't advise installing Win2K or WinXP. If you're having problems, also consider formatting & reinstalling to start clean.
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I would re-partion and format and install Win98SE. Load it up with as much memory that it can handle. Keep your starup files to a "bare minimum". Run Disk CleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag often. If $$ is an issue, you might want to look for a super 7 socket mobo (100mhz bus with 5.5x) and AMD k6-2 550mhz cpu. Combined price new is around $150. Fairly Cheap upgrade.

I had an old 200mhz that ran 98 like a charm. You might try a reinstall or a clean install of 98 and try that. Another option is to set your display to min. colors and resolution that is acceptable for you. Dummying down your display will save TONS of processor and memory usage especially if your video is onboard.

I`d say same as the rest Win98se was the most stable of them all apart from Win NT\XP which will be too much for you to run. Just stay away from Win ME :) If your unsure....Dont do it!

Ditto! 98SE the best!
I've got a spare MMX 200 Pentium if you want it? FREE, you pay the posty. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

The older the hardware you have the more trouble you will have in XP. Please tell us more info like what OS did you have at first and what you use the computer for. i.e. Server or Desktop. I use Win98 SE with the update on my computer at home. It is easier to upgrade sometimes because your drivers may work with the next OS. With Win ME there is almost no driver support for older hardware. Most people will tell you not to use winME. Win2000 or an earlier NT4 might work better for servers.

With Win98 the SE version has additional support for server software. You may also need an update to win98 SE for networking needs. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back