Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which name resolution to use, DNS or WINS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redss

Programmer
Oct 20, 2002
In my LAN, I have a couple laptops that are connected to various ports at various times, so each laptop does not get the same IP.

I want to be able to reach any of my laptops via machine name, not by IP. Do I need to configure a DNS server, or is it easier done by using WINS (netbios name resolution)?

In most cases, you should use DNS. However, you may want to setup WINS too if you have WAN/VPN, and you have Win98 and NT clients/servers in the domain. This link may help,

Does Windows 2000/2003 domain needs WINS.
Q1: Is there a definitive list of the services and operations that will no longer work in Windows 2003 Server if ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Ok well if DNS is the way to go, what do I need to do to get it to work? Is it hard to configure a DNS server, and is one included in windows XP? Do I have to configure one of my computers to be a DNS server, to be on at all times?

Because WINS automatically works out of the box without configuring any kind of server, so I am hoping DNS would also be simple...

If you have only one segment, as in, if you're talking like a small office or home LAN/Workgroup, then you may not need DNS OR WINS at all. WINS does not work "out of the box", it has to be installed and configured on a Windows Server; you're probably referring to Computer Browsing:

Please post more information. Like: how many computers are on your LAN? How many servers? Are they part of a domain or workgroup? How do they connect to the Internet? How do they connect to each other? Please be as specific as possible.

Without that info, it will be difficult to give you good direction.

quoted from
Which name resolution should be used for home or workgroup network...
For home or workgroup network without server, you may use the router (if you have one) as DNS server or ISP DNS. It is also recommended to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the computer browsing.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Ok first off, my router is a belkin 4 port home router that costed $50 a few years ago.... its features include NAT, 4 port switch, DHCP, virtual server port forwarding, DMZ... but no mention of its own DNS server. I checked the tech specs of several other SOHO routers around $50... no mention of DNS functionality... would DNS server functionality be listed in the tech specs for a SOHO router?

I determined via a sniffer that my win2k box can find my linux box by machinename by sending a netbios NBNS broadcast. NBNS is the protocol that the sniffer displayed (after the DNS query returned nothing). So wouldn't netbios broadcast resolution be the preferred way to go? Because I don't know that SOHO routers include DNS, and of course most people aren't going to want to set up a DNS server in their home network, right?

Ok, back to basics here. Are you actually having problems resolving names? Because it sounds to me like it should just be working the way you have everything set up. NetBIOS will work all the time, even if your IPs are changing because browse lists and NetBIOS broadcast are dynamic. If you read that MS document I posted, it explains how that browse list is constantly kept up to date.

I am having a problem resolving names, but the problem occurs on a Linux box that only queries DNS, without sending a NBNS broadcast. It is a home network so there is no DNS server on the LAN.

I have read that netbios name resolution has been deprecated in favor of DNS.

I am still learning, and the purpose of my question in this thread is to get feedback to prove the contrary... that (my understanding) netbios broadcast is the ONLY way for small home networks to resolve peer machine names, because the moms & pops that connect their computers to a router at home are not computer engineers, so they would not be configuring a DNS server.

How can so many people say that netbios is dead, when its the only name resolution protocol that doesn't require configuring a server?

NetBIOS is nowhere near dead. Many MS services/programs still rely heavily on WINS/NBNS name resolution, and will not work without it. Microsoft promised starting with Windows 2000 to reduce reliance on WINS, but as yet, has not delivered.

I would say that your problem is probably that your Linux box is misconfigured. If you can ping it, but not ping from it, then you need to tweak your Samba configuration.

Browse this document and see if it gives you any direction:

You may also need to add an entry to /etc/resolv.conf to tell the Linux box to use other forms of resolution than DNS, if I remember correctly.

Chipk, thanks for your response. I'm told the file is /etc/nsswitch.conf but I'm having problems getting it to work, which I'll tackle later.

No I don't see how netbios can ever die off if I am correct that netbios broadcast is the only name resolution method that doesn't require configuring a server -- which is true, correct?

Right, right, /etc/nsswitch.conf. I may be getting my *nixes crossed.

Correct, NetBIOS does not require a server, but only works on individual segments. If you have a larger (multiple VLAN) network, then you need a WINS server to redistribute the browse list to hosts on the separate VLANs.

On the linksys wrt54 series you can create a static route to a mac address for name resolution regardless of current ip. If possible, just use static ip's for the laptops. Otherwise, using DNS locks you into specific ip's (i.e. static) and wins is dynamic meaning it will change the ip accordingly.

Try to avoid netbios. It has way to much overhead, and is not routable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back