Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which motherboard for SCO 5.0.5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andtony

Programmer
Apr 14, 2011
FR
Hi,

We are trying to make a hardware configuration for a SCO 5.0.5 server.

Starting with the motherboard, I've been told the MSI MS 7043 works fine with it, but it's very difficult to find it.

Can I try to install 5.0.5 on a newer motherboard ? With SATA hard drives ?

Thanks in advance !

With SATA hard drives ?
I'm afraid that 5.0.5 is far to old ...

That's what I thought ... but still, it's hard to find available motherboards for openserver 5.0.5 ...

I've been told about virtualization, and I'm trying right now to install Openserver on it. Did anyone try this ?

Yeah, new motherboards are hard to find.

Used motherboards, on the other hand, are plentiful.

It is a matter of figuring out what you really need and looking.

The last major hardware upgrade for a pet hospital chain ended up with Dell GX1s (at that point it was an upgrade for them) on PIIs, 350mhz which I bought as a pallet of 9 for $100.00 and a couple of extras for probably $30 more.

Had to buy some memory and converted to SCSI but for reasonable cost customer had good servers and a hardware spare in every location.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have found Gigabyte GA-6VTXDR (due cpu) excellent, very fast, excellent server board, without going to the expense of upgrading to 5.0.7

andtony,

vmware ESXi server vSphere 4 Hypervisor will most likely do what you need in terms of virtualization.

Free for 1 processor (max 6 cores).

Comes with base settings for SCO Unix 5.05 so should be quite straightforward for you to install on it. (I just installed 6.0 and no issues).

Your main problem may be to get vmware to recognize your new mainboard drivers if you do not go for a fully supported main manufacturer board - some of the most common ones will have marvell/realtek controllers that may not be supported directly by vmware. In this case you just need to "patch" the install image with one of the open source drivers. This is what I had to do on one of my machines where the network card was not supported, so I just used a sky2 driver.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back