Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which model of switch for CCNA studies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
US
Is a 1900 series enough for the CCNA lab?

FestusMcShamus,
The CCNA exam is based on the Cisco 2950 switch, a Cisco CAT 1900 with the enterprise edition of the IOS (so that you have a conmmand line interface and VLANs) will help a lot.

But I would make sure I check the slight differences in the commands between the 2.

I just recertified in July on the new CCNA exam and most of the switching questions were very general and not specific to a 1900 or 2950.

All my practice has been with "real" 1900s but I also did a few configs with a 2950 on a sim so that I understood the difference - just in case.

I have read in forums that there is a "switching sim" on the CCNA but I have NEVER talked to a student of mine who got it.

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks for the advice. I have been using a sim to get used to both the 1900 and 2950 but I want to get hands-on experience.Sounds like either (with the 1900 EN) is going to be fine.

Festus, which sim are you using? I've been looking at Boson's new Netsim 6 which is in beta. It's obviously overkill for CCNA, but I hope to move on to CCNP after passing 640-811. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

orion

Network Visualizer 4......Sybex CCNA author Todd Lammle's simulator.
It's pretty good but I haven't tried Boson's so I can't make a comparison. His labs have some typo errors which means you have to figure a couple of things out (which is sort of good to test you knowledge).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back