Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which MDW is being used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smart12know

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
I've created a few databases and workgroups and was doing some scenario testing. The security works fine for me...asks for my password...gives me the correct security levels. So I've set up ids for others and ask them to test and when they sign on they aren't even asked for a password. I have the workgroup on the network along with the database. So my question is: How can I tell (for sure) which mdw file is being used for the database and do you have any suggestions as to why security is not being invoked for the other users.

Thx for any suggestions you can give me!

Hi

You need to look at which work group you and otehr users are 'joined' to

In Access97 this was done via a sepreate freestanding exe called wrkgrpAdm.exe (or something very similar), in Access2K, Access2002 I believe it has been moved to the menu options under security.

You can also 'force' use of a particular workgroup in the shortcut which invokes teh application by use of a switch in the command line, sorry i have forgotten the exact syntax and cannot get access 'how to notes' at present since I am not in the office

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thx for the info. I have seen the syntax on the shortcut, I will be trying that next. I didn't see the workgroup info in the 'security' option. And I guess I don't quite see how going thru wrkgrpadm.exe joins the workgroup to a specific database for ALL users of that database. It doesn't prompt for a database name???

You can also 'force' use of a particular workgroup in the shortcut which invokes the application by use of a switch in the command line

That is my recommended way to implement workgroup-level security, unless you have one central workgroup file EVERYONE connects to. The command-line option is:
Code:
"etc\MSACCESS.EXE" "c:\fullpath\your.MDB" /wrkgrp "i:\fullpath\wkgrp.MDW"

There is a VBA command that grabs the currently-connected-to workgroup. It is:

Code:
SysCmd(acSysCmdGetWorkgroupFile)

Hi

Setting aside the inclusion of an mdw path in the short cust which causes a specific mdw to be used, the mdw used in not user or database specific, but is "Access Installation" specific, ie if on a given PC you join a work group which has an admin user with a password then all databases opened from that PC will prompt for a user and password, at least that is my understanding.

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thx for all the replies!

Given all this information, I'm leaning toward setting the paths in the shortcut and sending the link to the users. I believe the other option would prompt the user for signon and password on other databases that have nothing to do with the security that was set up for the database that I created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back