Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Linux for Lotus Domino Server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurg

MIS
Oct 26, 2001
CH
As a small company (5 users) with no Linux experience, we would like to move to a Linux server as file server for our network. It should also host our Lotus Domino server.

Hardware is a Intel based server with 2.8 GHz and 512 MB RAM (or more if needed). IBM suggests Red Hat AS or SUSE Enterprise server for Lotus Domino - but for 5 users I fear that we would get a system, which is too difficult to maintain.

All suggestions for an easy to install and easy to maintain Linux distribution to host Lotus Domino will be much appreciated!

Juerg

The normal server OS recommendations are:
Windows 2000 Server
AIX 4/5
Solaris 8/9
OS/400
Redhat 7.2 or higher
SuSE 8.0 or higher

So try to stick with one of these.
For the size of network, using one of the Linux distributions would make the most sense.
Normally, I'd suggest using Redhat but recently I've been more inclined to recommend SuSE.
SuSE would be far simpler than AIX, Solaris and Windows and has proven to be stable and efficient.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Thank you for your recommendation. Would the SuSE _standard_ server 8 be enough or would we really need to go for the SuSE _enterprise_ server?

Juerg

SuSE standard would be more than adequate.
If you build the server correctly the 1st time around, you would not have any problems later on.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back