Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

millencolin

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
AR
I have a question, like a kind of asking for opinions. Which of these programms is the best for vector design?

1. Corel Draw
2. Adobe Ilustrator
3. Macromedia Freehand

thnx

Hi I use both Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw.

There are some things that I like Corel for but if I was to pick one it would have to be Adobe Illustrator.

This is a universally excepted standard, in fact when I use Corel I still save the files in Illustrator format.

The real drawback I have found to Corel is its inability
to open many graphics formats. It does not open PDF, EPS, or even AI files that are created elsewhere. Adobe Illustrator will open or import almost anything.

I use it regularly to check the work I create in other programs and export as EPS files to make sure that everything translates correctly.

As for freehand I haven't used it in years so I can't really comment on that, but there is no doubt that Illustrator can do anything that freehand can. If you use other Adobe programs then the similar interfaces is really a plus too.

Nohj

I might add that you will find the Adobe illustrator forum a lot more active then this one as well.

Nohj

I use Illustrator and Corel Draw. I find each of the two have different ups and downs, but overall those two are the best.

If I had to pick one I'd have to go with CorelDRAW. I find it to be more versital and easier to use then Illustrator. Admittedly, Illustrator tends to be more stable then Draw. But with all it's quirks I still prefer CorelDRAW.

CoreDRAW has a lot of features that I use (like an Envelope and Extrude tool) that Illustrator doesn't have. Granted you can pay an extra $100-$150 to get plug-in tools for Illustrator that do this but I'd rather spend my money on other things. I also like the way Corel handles rectangles with rounded edges over Illustrator and the way you can turn an elipse into an arc or a pie easily. Live previews of fonts for text. Its the simple stuff in Corel that would take me a lot longer in Illustrator that wins me over.

CorelDRAW also comes with a few cool extra programs like CorelTRACE which is equivilent to Adobe Streamline. Except again you don't have to pay an extra $100+ for it. Corel tends to throw everything in plus the kitchen sink when packaging software. Hundreds of fonts, tons of cheesey clip art, everything.

Cullen Cox
cullenc3@aol.com
Graphic Artist/Web Designer.

I have used Corel DRAW nearly every working day for the past nine or ten years and I find it more than capable. It is hard to fault when you consider all that comes with the package in recent years.
I have to disagree with the person who said that it won't open many types of file format. It DOES open or import PDF, EPS and AI files (and many, many more). The latest version (TEN) can also open Freehand files.
The only drawback I find is that is not so widely used as Adobe products but once you find a good Corel certified output bureau you are OK.

Joe

I'm using both, Draw and Illustrator cause I need both. I don't know, if it is Corels inability to export files correctly or it is Flash's inability to import, but I have to save Corel10 files as Corel 8, open it with Illustrator and export them wo .wmf or any other vector format. If I export it to .wmf with Corel, Flash can't read it correctly.
Maybe its working with the service pack for Corel.

Andreas

Definately Corel Draw
been using it for years and import illustrator, pdf, eps - all sorts, these are generally output to our diferent printers successfully.
I have yet to hear of something Illustrator does that I wish Draw did but as with most programmes, when you've spent half a lifetime getting to know it, you generally prefer it !!
We get files from PC and MAC users and they all look great.

CorelDraw, nuff said! I bought Adobe Illustrator for my shop just to get experience with it since a lot of job postings mention it. I couldn't get anywhere! CorelDraw is MUCH more "User Friendly"! You know right away how to manipulate objects or even draw them. You really have to dig in Illustrator. You can't customize your toolbars like Corel either.
I challenge anyone to give me something that Illustrator can do that CorelDraw cannot. I bet I could do it faster and easier. BTW I have 2 copies of Illustrator still in the shrinkwrap(Not worth opening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back