Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which is better? Intel 875P or 865PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transworld

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
SG
Hi Guys, presently i'm very confused after reading all those datasheets in the Intel website. As the 2 mentioned chipsets are 800Mhz FSB, which one really performs better? Hope to hear some views from users out there. Thanks.

Doesn't the "E" stand for "Extreme"? And doesn't "Extreme" mean 64-Bit?

If so, the Extreme Version is definately better.

Can someone confirm this please?

The 875 is much faster as the 865, I use both chipsets in different computers. The memory speed on the 875 is 6340 Mbytes against 5785 on the 865 set. However the price of both chipsets to the OEM is also quite different. The price of the 865 set is 28 $US in quantities of 10000+ against 54 $US for the 875 set. Many OEM,s try to save some money.
Regards

Jurgen

I think the E means Ethernet Support... At least for the motherboards.

Im running MSI 865PE Neo2-S (MS-6728), obviously the 865PE chipset. I am sure the other is faster but i still love my mobo. Im not into the newest and best, just happened to get this board but it is the fastest setup i have ever had. I had another board with the same P4 2.4 cpu and more ram and it was much slower with the same software on it.

If you are only getting one motherboard i would suggest getting the other one, its newer, simple as that.
But if putting together a bunch of units and you want to keep the price down, you might go with the 865PE chipset. I am going to keep mine for a while, i can tell you that!

And E is for ethernet, at least according to MSI.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thank you very much guys for the valuable tips.

The Intel 875 actually came out marginally before the 865 (just a few weeks) and was marketed as Intels top chipset at that time.
As for which is the better, well I remeber reading reviews that put the 875 ahead in most tests but only by the smallest of margins.
As these chipsets have been the backbone of Intel based boards for some time many revisions were introduced over that period, so I guess the question is slightly more complicated, if the question is latest 875PE against latest 865PE then of course the 875 wins, early 875 against latest 865PE, well that's a diferant story.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I would disagree wholeheartedly that the 875 is "much" faster than the 865PE.

You could jump right to the conclusion section of this article:

Also, go straight to the benchmarks in this article:

You will see that Asus's and MSI's top versions of the 865PE chipset actually outperform most of the 875 motherboards, and even trump all of them in a few benchmarks. The key difference that Intel labels between the two chipsets is PAT (Performance Acceleration Technology). However as demonstrated in the two articles above, mobo manufacturers figured out long ago how to enable PAT, or a form of it, legally on the 865PE. Any small advantage that the 875P had only lasted for a brief moment almost 2 years ago...

There are still some dead-slow versions, so make sure you get one of the two that topped that chart in the link I posted above if you decide to go with the 865PE.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

As far as I remember, intel corrected the 865PE "bug" and the next shipment of 865PEs would not fall victim to that trick.

The 875 chipset is not that much faster than the 865 chipset. It was quite a bit more expensive when it came out so many people opted to buy the more inexpensive 865 chipset. It is just a little faster and may have a few extras that the 865 chipset does not.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Dakota,

Not sure about whether Intel made any moves to correct that, but as late as September 2003 (6 months after the initial release), there were still 865PE chipsets coming out that had a modified version of PAT enabled.

I'd say there is still a good chance to get one of those models, as long as you know what you're looking for judging from the links in my last post.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Gee, i am going to have to see if i have that version or not. I got this mobo in a trade deal. However, now that i am using this mobo i am very very impressed with it.
Not using the sata capabilities yet, but i still find this computer to be very very fast and very steady. I have it set at the maximum settings. MSI gives you a choice of going for stability or max settings, I believe there are about 4 choices, so i moved up the ladder one at a time, now on the highest level and the machine works just great! I should run a sisoft sandra test or some other that matches the mobo against others.
Im pointing this out in case you are considering buying this board.
However, if anyone could give some info on how to find out if one has PAT enabled, perhaps you wouldnt mind if it were posted here?

The Asus P4P800 Deluxe (865PE version - is the only one actually that claims to have PAT enabled.

However, the MSI 865PE Neo 2-FIS2R ( is another extremely fast contender that has MAT (a feature that rivals PAT) scored high in benchmarks from a couple years ago.

~cdogg

Thanks, i will have to check this out further. I dont want to impose on this thread any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back