Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which is best IDE for development 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkesh

Programmer
Dec 31, 2000
IN
I am working on J2EE platform. Using WebLogic 6.1 as a Application Server. But i need a standard IDE for development ejb, servlet, jsp, Html, Script...
So friend which IDE you suggest..?
Jbuilder
JDeveloper
Visual Cafe
Or any other you are useing ...
I like to know

Regards
Alkesh Barot

Why use an IDE?

It is easier to code diretly EJB, JCA + JMS than through an IDE.

Unless it is Swing/AWT.

I don't think so.In fact I dislik to rigth getter and setter methods,or while creating a servlet,I don't like to write doGet(request,response),doPost(),init(), etc.
Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
openyourmind77@yahoo.com

I think Iam pretty late in the discussion but do feel Jean is right. I mean yes IDE does take away your part of writing the usual code constructs, but then you end up just putting the logic without really getting a feel of the complete program. It increases your dependency on an IDE and finaaly one fine day when you walk into another Co. you find hey ..MY IDE is missing so I just cant code .... hope atleast a few agree with me ..
So better of coding without any fancy IDE's .. :)

I agree that there are some advantages to using an IDE. I use JBuilder frequently and appreciate the things it offers like code insight and code completion. I also like being able to automatically generate bean methods (getter/setter) methods by clicking a checkbox. I'm not going to 'forget' how to do this if I ever have to not use an IDE--it just saves me some tedium.

On the other hand, I've been using Gvim and Ant alot more lately and appreciate the ease and simplicity of coding and building this way. In fact, in the last few weeks, I have been using the IDE less and less.

Of course, now I spend more time compiling and fixing syntax errors that the IDE would have alerted me to but there's a trade off for everything.

BTW, Ant and Gvim are free. JBuilder costs over $3000 per seat and they release a new (read bug fixed) version every six months with no upgrade path (pay 90% of the license, thank you). Which do you think I'll stay with longer?

My .02

I guess that is why I don't get attached to liking an IDE that is not free. I am still in the learning process and I have now been using Eclipse. Great little package. One thing that looks like is on the horizon is being able to modify your code while in debug mode (on the fly). I guess I like the time savers of syntax checking and the little things. I haven't created any GUI programs yet so I don't take advantage of those tools. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

Check out JDeveloper from Oracle..You can download it free from the Oracle site.

I am currently using Websphere Application Developer Studio.Everything you may need while building an e-business application is included.Creating single java classes,creating servlets,EJB,editing a web page is all here.
Honestly I think that you cannot build a big application without an IDE.Maybe creating simple application is all right.But IDE provides you protection,flexibility and easiness to your applications.
For examples the IDEs that support repository system have the versioning options and with that you can return to your old methods etc.
I suggest using Websphere if you have money but if you don't want to pay use Eclipse and search the plug-ins for the Eclipse Software.
(I didn't pay money for the websphere.My company purchased it for me.Nice of them :=) ) Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
openyourmind77@yahoo.com

Try -
The following is a caption from the above web-site :-

About the JDEE
The Java Development Environment for Emacs is a software package that interfaces Emacs to command-line Java development tools (for example, JavaSoft's JDK). JDEE features include:

JDEE menu with compile, run, debug, build, browse, project, and help commands
syntax coloring
auto indentation
compile error to source links
source-level debugging
source code browsing
make file support
automatic code generation
Java source interpreter (Pat Neimeyer's BeanShell)
The JDEE supports both Emacs (Unix and Windows versions) and XEmacs. It is freely available under the GNU public license.

Hi All,

I know this may be a bit off topic, but if you're a Java developer that strictly uses a text editor for coding (like me), and are interested in a little utility that will speed up the creation of setter/getter methods, take a look at a small tool that I've created that may help you out:

Thanks,
Adam Rice

I thinik i am really late for this, i have been using the Visual Age for java for sometime now and It is a really great tool till i was creating small projects in it. I have a big project which i am writting entirely by myself, cuz we cut costs and no one there to help, I have to write a provisioning system for a cellular system, anyhow..

I have been using Visual Age for java that i downloaded off of the net and its wroked great, help soo much in speeding the Swing creation part that i got hocked to it, but suddenly last nite it crashed on me and i lost some file, actually i didnt loose the code, but the IDE doesnt allowe me to visually view the swing components i created, and this window was big, it keeps saying that JInternalFrame cant be loaded as it is nil, java exception or something, it took be precious 1 day to figure out how to get my swing back, by recreating from the source but there were soo many things that it became a mess to recreate it from the code. anyhow i started working again and it crashed on me again and this time it corrupted the workspace, and i lost soo much stuff and corrupted another JInternalFrame class..it has been buggin me ,now i make couple of changes and i have to save the workspace which takes ages, imagine i use a ultra ATA 100 hdd, 256 mb ram and 1.5ghz computer..it is soo slow, then i have to export the files so that i dont lose them completely, i export then to a directory and then a snapshot of the repository...i wish i can get away with this..i am planning on buying the ide, i mean i am not the company is...do peopl think its a good idea to do this? is there a way i can port the projects i am writing in Visual Age to be ported to say JBuilder some of the other famous and stable ides so that i can buy that port all the stuff i have written to that and then..work happily? please some one tell me what can i do and what should i do?

say if for this project i somehow manage with the free Visual Age, for the long run which ide should i by if ia m doing a lot of swings coding and servlets etc?

Also i found on the net on some forums how the same problem use to occur in VA2.0 and they came out with a patch for it, but i would guess that the same problem shouldnt occur in VA4.0 may be they dont have a patch for it ni the free ware so is the full paid version free of those errors?

when i type something , like comment a line and press ctrl+s to save the file all in less than 1 sec it crashes on me, i dont know y, and this is consistant..its driving me crazy, slowing me down, but somehow i still like VA inspite of all these problems, so i would love some good ide which is more stable than this..

also the refresh rate of VA4.0 is pathetic, i mean i cant even tell u how bad, my JInternaFrames disappear from the screen, or i see only one bit and not the rest, untill i press on the window itself..anyhow..
hope someone can help me out here..

take care..
will be waitng..

Ankur

Jbuilder 6.0 seems to be the best. I have used IntelliJ IDEA and it has a lot of features ( actually better than jBuilder ) but the cvs integration is not as easy as jbuilder. And IDEA doesnt have a GUI building tool.

jBuilder's cvs integration is better than in IDEA. Hence for large projects, jBuilder seems best.

Hi,

Forte is good and cheap ;) , but if you can afford it you should use Visual Age

Pros: interpreter and compiler modes (you can correct errors directly while you're inside the debugger), powerful version management system, integrated team development, excellent debugger, true visual GUI development (you can create cool interfaces just with the mouse and a few keystrokes).

Cons: if you have not worked with Smalltalk yet, you may find a bit strange the Visual Age workflow and windows. It devours lots of memory (working with middle-size projects you can easily reach 300 MB). Sometimes the Visual GUI Editor gets confusing (mostly with very complex applets).

Which IDE has better editor do you think.
I have been using VIM for a long time, and
I want an IDE to make typing easy as well,
word completions, abbreviations... (I mean is it
easy to code without touching the mouse, since
it slows you down)
I am using netbeans at the moment, and like it
very much, its editor is pretty good too.
Its update mechanism is very flexible, it can
load netbeans modules (once you choose them).
It supports all the requirements above.
it is free too. Written entirely in java.

I have been using all the mentioned IDEs (VA, JBuilder, Forte and IDE)...My personal opinion is that Forte is the best one, and you can get it for free...but I have to admit that I miss a lot the refactoring tools that IntelliJ gives to the developer (from IDEA). this functionality can be added to Forte using Refactor It...but I feel that they are not productive like that IDEA has.
Eclipse has some refactoring tools...but I can't install it on my Work machine because I am obligated to use Win95...and this is not a supported OS.

I think i would pick Visual Age as the best by far, the second would be a 100 points behind..even with some of its short coming..

-Ankur

Hi Alkesh,

Please be informed that Visual Age is being folded up by IBM. If you are looking for free tools, look at either eclipse ( or Forte (java.sun.com).
While Forte supports WLS development (at least the feature set says so), Eclipse has a plugin.
If you are willing to spend $$$, then you could either look at JBuilder ( or Togethersoft ( depending on how much you are ready to spend.

HTH,
Ravi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back