Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Is best - Fixed DSN or DSNLess??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulSc

MIS
Aug 21, 2000
GB
Hi,
I wonder if I can ask for some advice please?

We develop all our ASP applications using DSNLess database connections and have now started to do this for a number of ColdFusion apps as well.

The end client has raised the question as to whether a DSNLess connection is 'safe' or 'safer' than a DSN setup on the server itself?

I know that the ASP/CF code is never sent to the client but is it possible to 'break' in if DSNLess connections are used?

Has anybody any comments on/experiences of this please that they may wish to share?

Thanks

PaulSc.

dsn-less is faster and less resource usage
dsn is more secure

although there are plenty of ways to make the DB and files secure other then the dsn creation
eg:
directory locking (password protect)
DB settings etc...

Why in DSN(-full :p) more secure?

I would think it the work of 5 minutes to look into a DSN file/registry setting if the cracker had broken into your web server.

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
<insert witticism here>

I would like to vote for DSN-Less connections, bcoz it doesn't need to configure the DSN settings again and again.
DSN-Less connection finds its path and comes in action while DSN needs to configure the username and pass etc.
but it's true that DSN connections are more secure.

Thanks for your responses. Looks like DSNLess are easiest but fixed dsn's are 'safer'. Looks like fixed ones for us then.

Cheers

PaulSc.

Guys,

How does a DSN-less connection becomes less secure if my database does not reside in any of the folders shared in the internet?

Medic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back