Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which format should I copy mksysb file to a tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSiva

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi all,

I am sorry if I repeat the question asked before, but I could'nt find an answer in search.

I have a scenario where there is no tape drive in one system and there are tape drives in other systems.

I cannot install NIM as they are not part of same dept.

So I have taken the system backup of the tapeless system in to a file /mksysb/mksysb

Then I did a ftp (bin mode)from a tape machine to this tapeless machine and copied the mksysb file.

Then I did backup command to backup this file into a tape. To check I restarted one system with CD-ROM and tried Restore from System Backup. But I got "The tape is not in backup format" then it went to Preservation Installation mode from CD-ROM.

Then I tried dd command to copy this mksysb file to tape and again tried the about said procedure but got the same error!

How to copy this mksysb file to a tape so as to restore by booting from CD-ROM?

Thanks in advance

JSiva Om Maha Ganapathiye Namaga!

I have not seen remote backup of mksysb done successfully. I have seen a back up to
local drive and then archive to tape using either NFS or ftp to the server with the tape drive...However, the mksysb was then used as a NIM spot... for a restore.

Have you considered sysback which is a product of IBM....it is relatively
inexpensive and allows remote backups?

helpful docs for remote archives...but not mksysb...?

You can try your process with the dd and sometimes you need to use :
If the device name being used is /dev/rmt0, use /dev/rmt0.1 instead if
you get the wrong format on the tape....

Let us know if it works and what you did.......I personsally like Sysback..for the price
compared to other more expensive solutions.....
Worth a try....

Hi aixqueen,

Thank you for your reference. But this is a Govt. Organisation and I am a FM engineer here. So if I recommend something it will take hell lot of time for all the formalities.

Now here what I did.

I have taken the system backup on a file.

1. smit mksysb >> /mksysb
2. transfered this file to a taped machine.
3. did the following in taped machine

dd if=/tmp/mksysb of=/dev/rmt0 (tried rmt0.1 also)

4. restarted a test machine and booted with 1st CDROM.
5. took the option 3 system maintenance
6. took the option 4 intall from sysbackup
7. selected the device tape.
8. and got the message

Volume on /dev/rmt0 is not in backup format

What do I do to use the sysbackup on file.

Thanks in advance

The problem with that is that the tape is not bootable. Also, the only thing saved is the rootvg data saveset...

You would have to do an install from the CD, then restore the rootvg after the install...

Good luck!!

To make this work you need to also copy bosinst.data and image.data to this tape but only after making the take bootable by issueing the bosboot -ad /dev/rmt0 then use the restore command to copy the 3 files onto the tape .. Then boot to the tape and you will be ready to roll

Dear BCOXPA,

Thank you for your advice. I am sorry I was out of station and couldn't check your reply.

So do you mean to say that I don't have to install the OS before as Mr.Probablydown says and can still use my tape to start with?

I mean I have a system backup in my system hardware where there is no tape drive. I will ftp this image to an another system with a tape drive and do an "dd" to tape. Then do this "bosboot -ad" to tape and copy bosinst.data and image.data files to tape. Then bootlist -m normal rmt0 in the tapeless system and boot from the tape and it will install?

Because the error Iam getting is at the time of selecting the system backup device tape it shows. "The volume is not in backup format" isn't it make sense?

Dear franksoprano, I have not yet tried the procedure as I was on leave. Thanks you.

JSiva
Om Maha Ganapathiye Namaga!

Hi,

I have a script to creates a boot tape for a remote system but I haven't tried it before. If you'd like, I can email it to you (it's too large to paste here).

Hi yig !

Thank you!
Can you please mail me the same at "jsnair@lycos.com"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back