Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which first? (Win98, Windows 2000 Professional or Linux?) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun1350

Technical User
Apr 7, 2000
MY
Visit site
I have a Intel 600MHz system with 128MB of memory and 17GB of hardisk. I planned to install the three operating systems to my system. Which should I install first? What is the recommended partition size for my hardisk?

Check the discussion on the other &quot;Which first&quot; posting. Again if you are using LILO the &quot;boot&quot; files must be below the 1024 cylinder. You can put the rest of your Linux files anywhere else on the disk.<br><br>As for the partitions, it will depend on how you are using your system. I generally keep a 1G partition for my Win98/Dos stuff. Since I generally don't use those files this is more than enough space.<br><br>Since Linux can mount my Win/DOS partition I also store some of my text files there. I am not sure of the file format for Win 2000. If it is the same as NT Linux can read in that partition also. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back