Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which DLL or OCX controls DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayProud

Programmer
Nov 10, 2004
GB
I have a module in an Access 97 database that contains the command DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet. When this is actioned it fails with the following error message - "Can't update. Database or object is read-only. (Error 3027)".

I believe this message is a red herring because the spreadsheet trying to be created is being output to the user's C drive and the exporting folder is not read-only.

These problems have arisen after applying a MDAC pack from Microsoft. It would be helpful to know which particular DLL or OCX controls the DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet action as I believe this is responsible for the problem.

Can anyone help please?

Here are a couple of ideas.

First, I got the same error when trying to export a spreadsheet where one already exists. For example, I exported to c:\test.xls which already existed and was also read only. I didn't get the error if the file existed but was not read-only or if the file did not exist prior to running code.

Secondly, the following MS knowledge base article refers to a similar problem with the transferspreadsheet command when used in a macro.

I think the problem either lies with the place the file is getting exported to, or a syntax problem with the transferspreadsheet command. I don't think this has to do with any particular DLL or OCX.

Hope that helps,
Rob

This will also occur if you try to save the spreadsheet with an .xlt extension rather than .xls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back