Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which DB to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

REGGIEC

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
US
I am upgrading DBase databases to use on a web page. They will be updated on our computer using Visual Basic almost daily and then uploaded to the web page made in Frontpage each night. Is Access or SQL Server the best way to go. I heard that Access isn't really good on databases over 5MB so that would seem to answer my question, but we don't need the entire SQL Server package, nothing more than creating the database and maybe a little maintenance. The majority of the updating will be in VB. Is there a smaller SQL package(like the Developers edition maybe??) that would fit my needs or is Access the way to go in this case(or how about Microsoft data engine 1.0???). Thanks for your replies.

From my limited knowledge of MSDE, isn't there a limit of 5 concurrent users? Does that have any effect on a web site, where more than 5 people can try to read the database at the same time?

That's depending on how you've designed the site. Generally speaking, you can have as many people as you want viewing your web site, what SQL Server is looking at in terms of users would be usernames/passwords accessing the database. So if all of your select/insert/update/delete statements on your web site use the same username and password to access the SQL Server, the server will see this as 1 user regardless of how many people are on the site accessing the info.

Hope this helps.

I will be the only one doing any updates on the database. Everyone else will be viewing it through queries or ASP's. They will sign on to the page to access the database but not the database directly, so that should be fine, correct?

As long as all of the queries use the same account to access the database, that should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back