Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which database program to select?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksims

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Would this be a good place to start? If not, please direct me.

I am starting my search for a database program.

I will be creating and maintaing a dabase for my client. I don't think it is too demanding- list of clients with basic information. There will be some categorizing of these clients and we will sometimes print address labels from this list.

I haven't used database programs before and I would like to use something other than Outlook! What other details can I tell you that would help?

win xp- have micro office

Thank you.

Nick

If you already have MS Office, then you should already have MS Access intalled on your computer.

Depending on how much information you're wanting to put in it, I would think that an Access database is exactly what you're looking for. But, if you're talking about storing thousands of records, then you'll probably want to look at something a little more robust.

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Take a look at MySQL. I think there is also a lightweight version of DB2 (UDB) from IBM.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

ECAR,

I'm getting out the cd. When I first installed Office, I only put on a couple of the programs that I thought I'd use. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try it.

BocaBurger,
Thank you too. We had lunch with you just the other day. Nice to "(m)eat" you. (Probably an old phrase at your office- I still couldn't help it.)

Nick

I normally don't eat lunch. Don't quite understand your post.

Gotcha! :)

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

You should also consider your operating system and the way you want to use it. Access is good for a light weighted databases, on Windows. Use MySQL if you want to go to web, otherwise, go with Access

Guide on how to buy a laptop,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back