Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which database is better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eek

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
CA
I'm a beginner...After learning a lot from VB I want to see how I can add a database to some of my app....But first I need to learn databases....which one is the best to use with VB for stand alone application such as a company's staff directory or sales reports.

Should I use Access, SQL, other ?

And if for example I use a Access or SQL database does my user need a copy of Access/SQL on his machine to run my program ?

MS access would be fine.. and no they don't need a copy of the software.. you can you ODBC or Jet to connect to the .mdb file (which is your database file) and update in/change with your SQL statments.

The choice of Access or SQL depends on anticipated size of data as well as how much you want to spend. SQL Server is obviously more expensive, but if the project and dataset is large enough, it is more justifiable.

No, the users will not need Access or SQL on their machines. If you go SQL, you will need a client license for each user (in case anyone from Microsoft is reading this). As far as Access, I'm not positive, but I don't think they will need a user license if you are using a networked database and at least have a licensed version that you created the database with.

If this is a beginning project, I would recommend starting in Access until you are more familiar with relational modeling. Another benefit is that in the future, if you switch to SQL, it won't be super difficult to migrate to the larger backend.

For stand alone app I prefer Access. Though SQL is more powerfull but it might be too high for using on a single desktop application.

thanks for your feedback...really appreciated....

If I would buy a book to leanr on VB and Access database...should I first buy a book on Access or one on VB & Access...in other words do I really need to know every details of Access or I can plunge directly into a book on VB that will tell me how to build a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back