Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which component\reference for a given VB control ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davideart

Programmer
Apr 4, 2001
IT
Hy everyone.
How can I get to know which component or reference I have to use in my application to include a given control?

For example, if I want to use the xxxyyyzzz control, what check I have to select in the Project->Components or in the Project->References dialog box?

I use MSDN library, and I sometime (but not everytime) get something from it.

What do you do in this case?

Thank you in advance, David

Hi David,

What you're looking for really comes from experience in working with VB.

If you are looking for files that associate with each control so that you can distribute your software, then the file names are listed every time you highlight one of the control.

Hope that helps

Hy Tuan3249, thank you for your post.

What I need to know, actually, is which of the hundred of .dll listed in the references/components dialog box to choose to include a given control in y project (for example, a multimedia control or something else); usually they have really generic names like "Microsoft multimedia control", and I find difficult to choose one..

If it is, as you say, just a matter of experience, well....I have to wait, try and learn!!

Thank you again, David

Hi David,

I've learned my way through mostly playing w/ VB. Components are easier to figure out in my opinion. You can all them all and spend some time to figure them out. References is a different story. If you have alot of programs on your machine, there will probably be a large list of References. I would only concentrate on the Microsoft files. I myself haven't learned of all the controls and references either but I'm finding out more everyday.

If you have a specific task you need to do, post a question here and most of the people will tell you if there is a component/reference available that will do what u need. is another good place. The MSDN aren't always good about mentioning all the Components/Reference. It takes some digging to do. I find that being a good programmer also means being a good researcher. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back