Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Client for 'normal' XP-Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

shon4711

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
DE
Hi guys,

we purchased the new Brightstor 11.1., before we use ARCServe 2000 AE. In the old version you can use the NT/2ooo/XP-clients on your normal Desktop PC'S without the use of extra licences.
Does anybody know if I can use the new Clients the same way, or do I have to use the Desktop & Laptop clients?
I think the usage of the clients which come with the base product is much more comfortable. Otherwise I have to put a second Backup-Server (D&L-Server) on my machine which runs the backups and have to save this server extra in the base-product.
Any one an idea?
Thanks & best regards,
Peter

Licences for the client agent have never been 'free', however with AS2000 you used to get some bundled in with the package depending on what version you bought - this is not the case with later versions. In r11.1 the same deal applies - install and licence the windows client agent on the machine you wanna backup. Laptops and Desktops client is a whole other different product.

Thanks vshumpy,

but I think you're not correct.
In earlier Versions there where clients included for servers (these you have to pay) and for all the other machines (win9X, XP, 2000 prof....) you could put the clients on for free.
That's how I dealt with it all the years.
Is this not the same anymore?

Regards,
Peter

Yes, this is still the same. Server clients have to be purchased, workstation clients can be free installed, no limitations here

regards

@Cyklops,

thank you, that's very good.
Because use of this clients is IMHO much smarter than the D&L thing.

Best regards,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back