Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which card do I need for dual display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverGuy

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
US
I'm an analyst, so I don't know what I need. I need a video card that will display on 2 screens, I being a TV. They will be running an app that I make, but the TV will show one form, while the monitor will show the meat of the app.

I dont think the regular NVidia and possible ATI cards can do this. I probably need a Matrox, right?

If so, any specific models I should look at?

Thanks.

Any ATI card with TV-Out or a GeForce with the MX GPU will be able to do this. The MX can do it because the MX uses TwinView technology that the other GeForce2/3/4-Ti cards cannot do. I currently have a Radeon 8500LE using dual displays with a 15" CRT and a TV using the S-Video.

Hi Riverguy:

is a link to the Matrox site...and yes it would be a good one to consider...it's a high-quality card that I see lots of Computer Aided Design and graphics ppl using...but they are quite pricey.

For any card you're contemplating, type the name of it in quotation marks with a space and then +review...as in
"matrox parhelia" +review and it'll return hits to follow.

When it comes to shopping for the card you select...pricewatch.com is a good pricing guide...

Thanks everyone. I emailed Matrox to see what they recommend too. We have an NVidia card, a GF4. I'm not sure exactly what chipset. Then we also have a GF2 or 3 I think. The older one only allows you to clone or expand the view across 2 devices, not do multiple windows. The GF4 doesn't even allow you to use both outputs at the same time.

The gf4 fails when you try that?

I have an older gf3 without the video out...but do know ppl who use dual displays with geForce4 cards successfully.
For your purposes, tho, Matrox IMHO is the 1 for you.
Second choice would be an Appian...they have some quad monitor setups...have seen one on a friend's system...

If you REALLY wanta' drop some money there are cards out there that cost as much as most systems.

No, the GF4 has OPTION buttons. You select Monitor, it goes to the monitor, you select TV it goes to the TV and unchecks monitor.

Then you have a Ti, not an MX. K7S5A 3.1 / Duron 1 @ 1.2 / 512MB PC133 / Radeon 8500LE

OK. I wasn't even concerned with trying to get it to work because its a card that can be used elsewhere. Anyways, I'm under the impression that these cards come with software that remember which display to dock a window or app to.

Your impression is true. I have the Compro Personal Cinema card with Nvidia GeForce 4 mx440. When you right click on a program on the taskbar you can choose which monitor to send the program to. Send to Monitor 1, 2, Desktop Default or 2 etc. I can also drag programs between monitors. Also which ever monitor the program was last on, that's the one it will load on the next time you run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back