Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which browsers to test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweevo

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Hello,

I've done a lot of intranet development but would like to become more involved with external sites. Usually I've just tested my sites on the current versions of IE and Navigator.

Which browsers and versions should I download so I can test my sites properly?

Cheers.

Besides just what browsers, it might also be a good idea to check different browser versions...such as: NN4.75, NN6, NN7, IE5.5, IE6, OperaXX...
Also might be a good idea to check on diff. platforms...like IBM compatible, MAC, etc... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

There is a realy good browser & OS statistics breakdown here...

In a perfect world you would test all of them and have your site work in all of them, but fact is that you may want to use some plug-in or scripting technology that simply doesn't work in older browsers. This kind of statistical information plus some thought into who your target audience will be should tell you which browsers (& OS) you should test and which ones might not matter to your project.

N-Joi

jaxon

As GUJUm0deL stated, it's very important that you test cross platform. I do alot of 'intranet' web development and I test my applications and pages across the following different OS's:

Windows (NT/W2K/.NET)
AIX
IRIX
MPRAS
Linux
HP-UX
Solaris

However, you might not have access to such platforms...as most of them are rarely used by the average consumer. If you can't directly access these OS's, try to find someone who uses them and have them go to your site and check it out. .:. Success has a simple formula: do your best every time.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it's a ball acher to get things working on as many systems as possible but I like to be thorough. I'll heed your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back