Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which browser for i mac OS9? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYPPIET

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
NL
I have an i mac at home with OS9 that i connected to the internet. On this mac is installed Internet Exlporer 4.5, which is not woring too well. Half of the sites cannot be displayed.
So far i learned that only Mozilla 1.2.1 or Internet Explorer 5, or icab work with OS9.
Unfortunately i have not been able to find these first 2 on the net; icab i could find, but did not work. The message came up that "the preview was expired".

Does anyone have a solution for me (other than bying a new mac with OS10)?
Thanks

Using InDesign CS2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.4.6 on a mac G4

iCab should work OK, it did for me when I was using OS9. From the iCab FAQ (
I'm using the latest version of iCab, but it tells me it has expired
Check the date and time control panel on your Mac. The date is probably wrong. Correct date and time and iCab will work again.

If the date is correct, but iCab still tells you it has expired, please look for any OLD version of iCab on your harddisks. If you do not launch a certain version of iCab explicitely by double-clicking its application icon in the finder, the finder will look for a copy of iCab itself. And this can be also an old one which is already expired. So you should only keep the newest version of iCab and delete ALL previous versions (or at least put the old releases into a Stuffit archive so that the finder can't find them anymore, if you really want to keep them).

John

I've got a stepladder. It's nice, but I wish I knew my real ladder.

If you happen to have the install cd for the imac. IE5 should be on there. You might also look through any old Mac install cds you have. You might also lookat any osx machins to see if you have IE5.2- the latest. That might work on os 9 but not sure

If you want to post your email address, i can send you IE5 - US English - to you. I must have about 20 copies of teh thing lying around. I thnk it's about 10 or 11 megs. I also have netscape communicator - browser, web design, email. It's about 20 megs. Don't know how much these will compress for faster emailing.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I downloaded IE 5.x and NS 4.7x from respective sites for my OS 9.2 about a year ago. Don't remember how I found them though.

mmerlinn

"Political correctness is the BADGE of a COWARD!"

MS have stopped support for IE for Mac and removed the download. I wouldn't touch this version anyway. NS4.7 was removed from download since it was felt to be insecure. It's also the buggiest browser I've ever used. If possible, stick to iCab. Even better, upgrade to Tiger :)

John

I've got a stepladder. It's nice, but I wish I knew my real ladder.

JMgalvin,
thanks, i would appreciate you sending me IE 5. I hope my mailbox will accept a file this big. Please send it to pieter@typography.nl

On iCab: yes it was the clock-thing, but still most of the sites do not display with i cab... plus it crashed after a while.

Upgrading...of course this would be great but that is a financial thing.

Using InDesign CS2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.4.6 on a mac G4

Upgrading...of course this would be great but that is a financial thing.

Depending on what you use your Mac at home for, there may be a daring way to go...

You can run Linux for free on older hardware with the most recent versions of Firefox and Opera. Getting this to dual boot for OS9 and Ubuntu may be another matter that I am not familiar with. I have only set up a dual booted Windows/Ubuntu laptop. The only time that I have used Ubuntu on a Mac is with a Ubuntu live CD that does not install anything to the hard drive.

Typpiet:

I've sent you a zip archive containing the whole IE5 for )S8-9 folder - including all plugins. The zip archive was created via OSX "create archive". The archive is 6MB

Expand the archive on an osx machine and move the folder to the OS8-9 machine.

If you have security on your computer for atachments, the "from" in my email address is my last name.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back