Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which backup solution do I need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have veritas backup on my Sun 450 now and would like to extend this to backup multiple servers and multiple platforms (nt, exchange, oracle, windows clients). I would like to run two backups at the same time. I would like to backup the Solaris boxes (3) to a dlt (already have) and then add another backup server with dlt for the NT and workstation backup and as a failover if my solaris dlt fails. I am not sure what I need to upgrade, purchase for these options..

thanks

You'll have to speak to Veritas sales to get the specific prices and part numbers, but your looking at a pricey proposition. Just for starters you'll need the Exch, Oracle, and Open File Agents for the servers.

You may need Multi Server to Server Edition of BE or Network Storage Executive, you'll probably want a few Remote Agents for remote administration.

Maybe even the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option.

They have many options and many different scenarios. For something of this importance you should speak directly to Veritas, they were very helpful when we needed to upgrade our backup solution. Good Luck. :)

Try looking here:
or
Veritas Sales: Tel: 1-800-327-2232, Option 2

I wish you luck. We have a NW5 server, and now we've added a Win2K server. Before the change we had BE v8.5 for Netware with OFO & IDR. Because there isn't a remote agent for Win2K (the remote agent for WinNT doesn't backup the registry, etc in Win2K), we are evaluation BE for NT/2000 on the Win2K box, with the remote agent for Netware. There is no migration path for OFO and IDR, so we have to pay for them again and buy the WinNT/2K versions, and then we shan't have OFO or IDR functionality on the Netware server. The advice I have had from the Veritas re-seller is that to have OFO & IDR functionality on both servers I would need two separate backup installations and two backup drives. And this is just with Netware and Win2K!

I would look at Veritas NetBackup Datacenter
/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back