Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which backup product to use for our backup solution? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoadmin

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
I've currently been given the task of somehow being able to backup around 15 Windows 2000 Servers, and 8 UNIX/AIX boxes.

We've had several 'backup solution' providers ring us saying they would have some sort of backup solution that involved backing up to Hard disk during the night (daily), thus making backups a lot faster and more reliable as I've always noticed most backups not going through have been down to tape drive failure or media failure.

Once the backup during the night is done, the media server(s) then backup the data they backed up during the night, during the day to tape, thus not having any impact on the servers during the working day.

When I asked about what software they used to do this, they would not tell me anything apart from that its Veritas (or so my boss tells me). I've basically been given the task to try and come up with our own solution similar to that explained above.

I'm wondering which software would be required to do the above solution, ie backup to hard disk at night, then to tape during the day???

At the moment we use BE8.6/BE9 on several servers but this new solution is an attempt to centralize it more so.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Check your documentation for BE9. I have it but it's not installed yet (I'm still using 8.6). I'm reading through the documentation myself at this time.

I recall seeing that BE 9 has a backup to disk option built in. I may be wrong, but I believe that's what I saw in the documentation and mentioned on this site.

The vendors are probably just trying to sell you Veritas BE9.

-SQLBill

I already use Backup Exec 8.6 and v9.0, there is a backup-to-disk option in both that I know about and have used.

We get Veritas software here for free anyhow as we are a Veritas Partner, I'm just interested is there any software that backs up to hard disk and then to tape from the hard-disk backup seemlessley...

Rather than having to restore the BKF file from the hard-disk backup to a hard disk, then catalog that, then restore from that.. Its a 2 step operation, I was hoping they're was a specific product veritas do that can dump whatever it writes to tape to disk temporarily, then dump it to tape during the day, and only have to restore once from the tape.

Nope, never heard of a product that does that. Make sure that's what the vendors are ACTUALLY saying they can do. They might just be trying to sell you something that does the same thing as scheduling two backup jobs; one to disk and then one to copy from disk to tape.

-SQLBill

I've very recently dealt with Backup Exec 9.0's backup-to-disk option. When our client's tape drive went temporarily offline, I had to continue running the backups, so I did a backup-to-disk while the tape drive was being repaired. The backup-to-disk itself is very easy to set up and run.

After the drive came back online, I needed to transfer the backup-to-disk to tape so the client could archive it. Backup Exec has a job called "Duplicate existing backup" or something involving the word Duplicate. This copies the backup to another media instead of backing it up, thus removing the 2-step requirement when restoring. You can restore directly from the copy.

Unfortunately I was never able to get the Duplicate job to work. It would sit there and not run. Talks with Veritas tech support mentioned maybe installing the most recent build. As this was more trouble than it was worth to me (it was just one backup that most likely would never need to be restored), I just went ahead and backed up the backup-to-disk.

As SQLBill was saying, you'll have to schedule two backup jobs here. One to do the backup-to-disk, then another to copy it to tape.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Neoadmin, check out this backup appliance called Idealstor, we have been using it with BE9 for the last 4 months and it works great. It replaces tapes completely. This takes away the two step process with Disk to disk to tape. Idealstor lets you eject the disk for offsite storage and keep on the shelf. These days disk is cheap. I infact had to restore our exchange database the other day and was glad that I was not doing it from tape, otherwise we would have been down all day. Their web site is Good luck.

Does anyone know if BE7.0 also has capability to backup to hard disc?

qzq, what backup speeds do you recieve backing up remote servers to the 4 bay idealstor unit you purchased??? as the speeds on the website state 2640.0 MB/min, as far as i can tell these speeds would be impossible unless they'd actually backing up the idealstor unit itself, to itself.. whereas I'm more interested in the network speed from one machine to another..

Could you post some speeds showing mb/min you receieve from remote servers on your network to the idealstor?

thanks

neoadmin,
It varies from server to server, my exchange database runs at about 1.25 GB/min on a GB Ethernet, what they have posted on their site is what it peaks at. The system files will backup in the 300 MB/min range but over all beats tape, since I still have a DLT autoloader for some old stuff we have on tape. and I did a test just to compare. I have some systems which are not so powerful and they run at an average of 700 MB/minute. I like what they have done, I have had the system for over a year and not had any problems to date. Hope this helps

OK to clear things up..
BE 8.6 - has backup to disk option - you can then backup the bkf files it produces.
The problem with this is - in the event of a restore, you need to restore the bkf files first, then restore from the backup to disk folders.
BE 8.6 was the first version of Backup Exec to be able to backup to disk.

BE 9.x - veritas has expanded the backup to disk to also allow backup to removable media - CD-RW, DVD-RW, ZIP etc disks.
Once you run the backup to disk - you can then run a duplicate job, which will transfer the backup to disk files to media - you can run the duplicate job straight after the backup or whenever you choose.
The good thing about Backup to disk in 9.0, is that once it is transferred to the tape - you only need this tape to restore the files from.

Any questions, please ask.

justin2000,
If you backup to a removable disk like a dvd, why would you need to or want to then transfer it to tape. Why not recover from disk and arhive disks rather than tape? Is it just for convience of compiling all the data to one tape rather than multiple disks? I am just starting to look at backup software and hardware and trying to get a good feel. I work part time at a school and funds are very limited for software and hardware.
Thanks
Todd

personally I wouldn't bother backing up to DVD, bit of a waste of time, and 1 scratch and the DVD is gone.

backing up to hard disk, and then running a duplicate job is what I do - it's much faster backup - then I send the tapes off site - and still able to restore if I need be.

justin2000,
Could you suggest what you would use for backup if you had the following critera.
1. Very limited funds for powervault type tape drive and
most other large tape hardware. Limited to $1000
for both hardware and veritas type software.
2. Backing up a Win2k LAN with the following servers.
Domain Controller Server, Isa Server, File/Print Server,
Exchange Server, and Web server. This is for a small
school of about 50 exchange mailboxes, 150
client/student computers, with about 400 students
total.
3. Probably not over 40 gig of mailboxes, student folders,
LAN based databases, and webpages. I guess the Win2k
Server would add another 10gig for all 5 servers.
4. Would probably not need to get a major backup once every
3 months or so and changes to databases, student
folders and mail once a week.
5. No need to move backups off site. They would be used
for disaster backups
I was wondering if I could just add another computer and backup all the others to it. Or backup each server to a seperate hard drive of a sister server for numerous redundant copies etc. I am real new at this so am unsure. Everything I read talks of tape backups which look exspensive.
Your input and help is greatly appreciated.
Todd

ftoddt

very limited budget there.
Probably you best best would be to purchase a USB or Firewire external drive for each of the servers and use NTbackup to backup the servers locally, it should be OK.

I would try and push for more dollars - explain it to them this way - with $1000, I can buy this this this etc.. - but in the event of disaster - ie. fire, flood etc, I won't be able to restore any data because we don't keep anything off-site.
If you gave me say, $5k, I could buy a tape drive (or a few more external disks) and send them off-site etc.

Another way to get more money - ask them how much their data is worth - or what if you had to start from scratch with everything, would that be OK.

justin2000,
Thank you so much for your time and advice. I will pass your suggestions on to my boss. Right now I think I can talk him into Vertas Backup Exec. and am looking at that Maxtor 250gig external hard drive as a subsitute until we can afford a powervault system.
Thanks again
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back