Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which API to use ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaeve

Programmer
May 7, 2001
FR
Excuse for my english (I'm french ...)

I would like to connect a Sybase database without using ODBC!
What's the name of the API to use?

Thanks in advance...
glaeve

I too would like to know this. I posted a similar question last week, but I still do not have any responses. If you find something, I would like to know.

I heard about JConnect, Open Client, Ôpen Server,MainFrameConnect, ...
But what's the difference between them ???

Glaeve

Hi Slugmaster !
These links refer the manual pages about Open Client et Open Server. It seems to be that library that we have to use...

Open Client/Server : Liste des manuel associés -> Open Client-Library/C Programmer's Guide -> Open Server-Library/C Reference Manual -> Open Client-Library/C Reference Manual -> -> Exemple présentant une connexion à un serveur et émission d'une requête SQL
Open Client DB-Library/C Reference Manual -> Open Client/Server quick Reference Guide -> open Server Server-Library/C Reference Manual ->

I know it has been almost a year since you posted this message. I find the easiest way to connect to a pervasive database is through ADO. I hope the following will be of some help:

'Connection Declaration
Dim cnConnection As ADODB.Connection

'Set Connection String
Public Function cnConnect()
Set cnConnection = New ADODB.Connection
With cnConnection
.Provider = "PervasiveOLEDB"
.CursorLocation = adUseClient
.Mode = adModeReadWrite
.Open "C:\FilePath"
End With
End Function