Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which AntiVirus product to your recomment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOSA

MIS
May 29, 2003
US
Greetings All:

I am trying to decide which Enterprise Antivirus package to go with and was wondering if some of you can share your thoughts on the following: TrendMicro Client/Server/Messaging Security for SMB, Sophos Enterprise Endpoint Security, and Symantec Antivirus Enterprise 10.1.

I have evaluated all three already, but wanted to hear some feedbacks from those of you who have or are
currently using these products to see what your experience was/is like.

Also, I have heard that of the three, Sophos puts the least amount of strain on the CPU...is this correct?

Thank you in advance!!

Sorry folks, I can't spell.

The subject should read Which AntiVirus Products Do You Recommend?

Hi

This is my first post, so I hope it's useful!

I'm not sure whether you're asking about effectiveness or usability.

If it's effectiveness you're after, check out who go to the trouble of testing antivirus products against a rather large virus zoo.

Based upon the latest August 2006 test, TrendMicro detect 80.9%, Sophos 69.48%, and Symantec 83.18%.

All rather poor I'd say. Even free antivirus programs do quite well in comparison: Avast 87.46% and AVG 82.82%.

My advice would be to forget the three you're looking at and go for a Kaspersky based antivirus. By that I mean either Kaspersky itself, or F-Secure. In the same test, Kaspersky detected 99.62% and F-Secure 96.86%.

As far as useability goes, I couldn't comment, but I do know Symantec based antivirus products slow up the host PC quite a bit. I've never been a fan.

Cheers

I switched to Frisk's F-Prot from Norton over a year ago for our small business and I love it. I was really looking for a small footprint and affordability without suffering in detection rates and it pretty much delivers. However the new windows version released in beta is even better.

At the time, I was looking into Sophos, TrendMicro and F-Secure

We have just moved from Symantec Corp to NOD32 and it's a big improvment, the management tools are good and the detection seems to be incredibly fast. I couldn't get the Eicar test virus anywhere near a box with NOD32 on but SAV needed a few seconds to see it or sometimes the file needed executing.

The also score highly on the Virus Bulletin.

IMHO: which AV you use if a matter of 'Horses for courses', it depends on the users and the situation.

For example. I (hopefully) know what I am doing around PC's and use a combination defence of several Free malware scanners ZA and AVG free.

A large enough company might use a combination of 'paid for solutions'
For a single user who only knows how to turn the PC on, I would recommend using a paid for automatic all round solution like Norton, This is a poor option but I cant see any other way around it for this sort of user.

An old guy I know has this sort of setup (it came preinstalled with his HP box from PC world) but when he asked me why the box was slowing down, I found a nasty 'Toolbar' had got through amongst lots of other tracking cookies.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back